• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproof fuse & relay boxes

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing some pre-planning for next Spring's electrical upgrades, and have come to the conclusion that I don't really want to build my own fuse and relay boxes to handle some of the stuff I'm going to be adding in or re-plumbing. Looking at what's going to be involved and remembering what a PITA running some of the wiring was originally it's just one less thing I want to have to deal with in the scope of the projects.

My off-the-cuff math tells me that I'll need a 6-gang block for both fuses and relays; this should leave me with two spare positions for future additions. About the best bet I've found so far for fuse boxes is the Hella H84960091; with relays it's the Hella HL62943 relay box.

These are probably going to have to be mounted in the engine compartment, and while both are described as 'splashproof', I'm not really sure what that translates out to in practice. If they're at least as good as the PDC in that regard (which itself isn't all that great; I've found mud and moisture under its lid before), my gut feeling is that they'll probably be OK.

One thing I did notice is that the fuse block has six positions, but the relay box only has four. I'd really like to have the option of one relay per fuse position, but I'm not turning up anything that can make that a possibility. If anyone happens to have a Hella catalog handy and can post a part number for a 6-position relay block, it would be appreciated. I'd definitely much rather have one block for each than two sets of four or similar.

So, on to my question: does anyone have recommendations on water-tight fuse and relay blocks? I've also been looking at marine items, but am striking out there as well. Any advice appreciated.

Back