• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good riding shocks?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm on the market for new shocks for my 89xj w/ 5.5" RE short arm and 35" maxxis bighorns.Im tired of the pos procomps I have on there now.Please offer up suggestions on brand that offers the best ride off road.Been looking at rubicon express shocks along with bilstein and rancho.Im looking for something that wont beat me to death off road....

I should add type of wheeling that will be encountered is typical ohio woods/trail riding no go fast prerunning.I do however do "spirited" jaunts through open rutted fields(which really got me thinking of ditching the procraps!!!)

Should also mention both front and rear sway bars have been removed a few years back and have adjusted my on road driving accordingly.This was the only area the stiff ass procomps seemed to be good...controlled body roll around turns without sway bars.

Right now at speeds over 5mph on any kind of rough terrain my jeep feels like its gonna fall apart....
How do the billsteins feel compared to the rubicons?

Ive heard alot people mention monroe sensatracs but i suspect i wont be able to get ones tht will fit as they seem to be a stock replacement???

Last edited:
I have the edlebrocks with the remote reservoirs and they have been amazing. The ones with the res are discontinued now but the same tech is in there mono tubes.

I would go bilistien over the RE shocks. Buy shocks from those who make shocks.

In fact if I had to buy shocks right now they would be bilistien. I was saving for some when I got a smoking deal on the edlebrocks.

Josh

another vote for bilstein. i have ran a few different shocks including the RE ones and the bilsteins ride the best. i currently have the 5100s up front and 5150s out back and it rides like a cloud

another vote for bilstein. i have ran a few different shocks including the RE ones and the bilsteins ride the best. i currently have the 5100s up front and 5150s out back and it rides like a cloud
What made you go with the 5100's up front and the 5150's out back. I am in the process of buying shoks and have been looking at both but would have thought they would have been swapped the other way. only becaseu from what i have read is that you do not need as good of a shock on leafs being they have some rebound already built into them. thank you for the help.

At 5.5 inches on short arms, the shocks arent your only problem, throw on some bilsteins, and some drop brackets, or long arms, and you will not regret it.

If you have the cash, go for some Bilstein 7100s, If not go with the 5150s.
x2 on Longarms..

At 5.5 inches on short arms, the shocks arent your only problem, throw on some bilsteins, and some drop brackets, or long arms, and you will not regret it.

Agreed.

With short arms on that much lift it forces the lower arm into a pretty steep angle. In the stock setup the arms are nearly parallel to the ground. Stock they allow the tire to move up/down when it hits a bump. In the lifted position the arm is driven back into the frame as well as up by the tire hitting something. It transmits all of that impact back into the body where you feel it.

Good shocks will help a little bit but not to the extent your hoping.

What made you go with the 5100's up front and the 5150's out back. I am in the process of buying shoks and have been looking at both but would have thought they would have been swapped the other way. only becaseu from what i have read is that you do not need as good of a shock on leafs being they have some rebound already built into them. thank you for the help.

i have leafs front and rear ;) but i had 12" travel 5100s laying around and bought a set of 10" travel 5150s to put up front but then decided i wanted the longer ones up front and threw the shorter bilsteins in the rear instead of the cheesy ranchos i had laying around. i would rather have the 5150s up front but its no biggy.

If you have the cash, go for some Bilstein 7100s, If not go with the 5150s.
x2 on Longarms..

i agree with this, i shelled out for the 7100's in a 12" short body, and they are awesome... and you can get the right valving then rebuilt/revalve later if you want. from everything i have read, the max valving on the 5150's was still not enough for many people.

I'm running 7100s valved 360/80 up front with 255/70 valves 7100s in back. I love the ride but would like a heavier valving out back.

If you don't have drop brackets yet, I would agree with the others that they will make a much bigger improvement than new shocks.

I'm running 7100s valved 360/80 up front with 255/70 valves 7100s in back. I love the ride but would like a heavier valving out back.

If you don't have drop brackets yet, I would agree with the others that they will make a much bigger improvement than new shocks.
I love my Bilstein 7100 12" short bodies with 360/80 valving up front and 275/78 in the rear!

I have Bilstein 7100 12" 360/80 valving up front and 5100 255/70 in the rear.. Im still trying to find the rebuildable steering stabilizer. I know Fox makes one..

THE thing about Fox or Bilstien 7100 and better are you can valve them to what you want. How YOU want it to ride.. The white can shocks dont give two Schlits about valving for YOUR Jeep and how your butt thinks it should ride..

I got my 7100 for $100 on CL.. $60 for the 5100's.. Pondering a deal for some King 2.5" coilover piggy back Rezi's for the buggy.. Mmmmmmmmm race shocks.....

Kindof a set price new. Search them up on line. What ones you gonna get? New the 7100 are $$$.. Search up some of the offroad CORE series in your area and find the for sale section. Mesure the lengtrh of shocks you need and go from there.. Probably 12" front and 10" rear depending on mount type and location. Search up some used ones and then get the rebuild kits from various venders and the proper valve kits, and oil. have a fun time but you can get a $800 shock setup for pennies.

BTW I will be in Wooster for the extended holidays flying into Columbus..

Back