• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

louvered hood

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
i was just wanting to know if any of u can tell me where i can find a louvered hood for an xj. i dont want hood vents. i like the look of the hood that has the louvers built in to it. thanks.

Never seen one that wasn't made from a stock hood personally, Are you looking for a fiberglass one or a steel one?

im not sure. i saw one on an xj that was driving by. im going to assume it was steel most of the louvered stuff ive seen is. i just liked the way it looked. almost like it came as an upgraded stock option. i have looked on line and have not found anything. then again i suck at searching the www. i just figured someone on here would know. on the thread that asks to show your jeepspeed rig there is a pic of one.

Im guessing something like this??? Cause thats what im getting :D... but its for a zj.. maybe a custom made XJ one???

adelitashood.jpg

EJ09C_0559-1.jpg

hood2-2.jpg

it takes a fully built truck to run a hood like that.... you put it on a stockish rig (no 4-link, no roll cage, no fuel cell) and you just look like a fool, same as the cheap fiberglass scoops you buy on ebay....

You actually have to have a shop do it. It usually runs a few bucks per louver to have it done, and you'll need to repaint the hood after it's done. It'll cost some bucks but if that's the look you like could be worth it:

louverfront.jpg

McNiel also made a glass hood for the XJ that not many people liked, hit them up and see if they still make it.

hood2.jpg

It sucks, because that hood had potential, but they went with the completely wrong louvers and should have ditched the scoop.

You want to find a shop with a louvre press.

Talk to your local hot rod clubs, they will know who has one and does good work.

You will have to pull the hood and take it to them, they won't mess with pulling the hood to do the job.

You also have to remove the internal bracing.

You want to find a shop with a louvre press.

Talk to your local hot rod clubs, they will know who has one and does good work.

You will have to pull the hood and take it to them, they won't mess with pulling the hood to do the job.

This. Also check your local hotrod shop and if they don't do louvres they will know who does.

McNiel also made a glass hood for the XJ that not many people liked, hit them up and see if they still make it.

hood2.jpg

It sucks, because that hood had potential, but they went with the completely wrong louvers and should have ditched the scoop.

yup, it had potential, in that it was a mass produced fiberglass hood with bling, but it's ugly as hell. like you said wrong louvers (nu-skewl vs old school), and ugly lame ass scoop. i might have still reluctantly ran it, once my xj is on pimpmode, if i couldnt figure something out myself.

You actually have to have a shop do it. It usually runs a few bucks per louver to have it done, and you'll need to repaint the hood after it's done. It'll cost some bucks but if that's the look you like could be worth it:

louverfront.jpg

This looks really good. I like this way better then the Lebaron Vent mod.

yup, it had potential, in that it was a mass produced fiberglass hood with bling, but it's ugly as hell. like you said wrong louvers (nu-skewl vs old school), and ugly lame ass scoop. i might have still reluctantly ran it, once my xj is on pimpmode, if i couldnt figure something out myself.
Agree 110% There was a huge potential client base there, because unlike glass fenders, the crawlers could benefit from a lighter vented hood as well. They just didn't execute it all that well. The scoop has to go and the vents need to be redesigned. But alas I'm not sure McNiel cares much for us at this point lol. I'm going to end up running a flat glass hood with some sort of labaron vent or similar most likely. That is unless someone comes out with something I like before then (doubtful).

Damn, that is an ugly hood they made. I can only imagine how many they would have sold had it not looked like something you'd see on a slammed import. Apparently they didn't do much listening to the community to realize we (well, most of us) don't do flamboyant.

i saw a louvered hood vents designed to be grafted into the stock XJ hood, Ill dig around and see if I can find them again...it was slicker n' snot

EDIT:

found them i thought they were steel but there not, they are made of aluminum. Im sure with some elbow grease and well placed (and designed) braketry, you could get a seamless install. heres the link

http://www.hylineoffroad.com/html/jeep_engine_cooling.htmlhttp://www.quadratec.com/

Last edited:
You also have to remove the internal bracing.

Not necessarily - it depends on what you're going for. Even LeBaron vents can be made to fit without cutting the bracing with careful placement.

I thought he was referring to punching louvers in the hood, which I think would require pulling the skin- at least for a job like the one shown. Could be wrong though.

Those Hyline panels look good.

I thought he was referring to punching louvers in the hood, which I think would require pulling the skin- at least for a job like the one shown. Could be wrong though.

Reading back, I think you're right - I didn't quite get the context of the original reply correct.

Those Hyline panels look good.

Yep. And factoring in what paint would cost after having louvers punched-in manually, the price is actually pretty decent on those.

those hyline panel's are cool for people with two left thumbs, but they look EXACTLY like 86% of xj's out there with centermount lebaron vents.... NO GOOD! at least the lebaron stuff is cheap...

Back