• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

york compressor Install

t-frady

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ Renix 4.0 5spd
I recently got a york 209 rebuilt with a serpentine pully.
The bad part is that it is for the flat side.
So my question is that how much deflection of my belt would i have to have to make it work right and not slip.
Another option would be for me to put it back on a lathe and put groves in it if there is still enough metal left.
BTW I will be removing the AC compressor I have now.
Could put it where the AC is now but without the groves would it work
could also get a different idler and put it where the AC is now and place the York where the idler is so that way the york would be on the flat side

Last edited:
i have been thinking of doing this process. but i dont need my ac and want to move the alt up. was thinking of building a bracket to move the alt up to were the ac pump is and put the york were the alt goes. problem is i would have to do a mec fan delete/ e-fan conversion to make it work right,which isnt a bad thing.

I'm confused. If the grooved side of the belt contacts the pulley and you have access to a lathe, you could make yourself a new pulley with grooves. If the smooth side of the belt contacts the pulley then putting grooves on it wouldn't help anything.

I'm confused. If the grooved side of the belt contacts the pulley and you have access to a lathe, you could make yourself a new pulley with grooves. If the smooth side of the belt contacts the pulley then putting grooves on it wouldn't help anything.
I am talking abut just putting the york where the AC is now. Would the york work with no groves in it its just flat and it would be against the grooved side of belt?
Or do I need to see how much material I have left to see if I can put groves in it?

I'm surprised with as many people who have done on board air that an answer isn't on here. I'd try it without the grooves but that's based on me being lazy and not really technical know-how. Sorry

So I took the pully off today and I only have .150 of metal left.
So I guess I will put my Lincoln to work and put some metal back on it.
Then I will mill it back down I will post some pics as the progress goes on.
I only found one Cherokee with a York in it and he kept the stock AC and moved his battery tray.

As for buying a new pully I am on a budget so that will be the last resort.

I dont know why I have never done a write-up on it but I will post some pics tonight of my York installed with the stock A/C and of the bracket I made. It fits good and I was able to line it up to run it in the serpentine loop...

I dont know why I have never done a write-up on it but I will post some pics tonight of my York installed with the stock A/C and of the bracket I made. It fits good and I was able to line it up to run it in the serpentine loop...

looking forward to seeing this :peace:

yes please do I dont need ac on my 89 but still nice to put pics in one place

Here are some pics of my York compressor installed with the stock A/C. These pics aren't that great but you get the idea. I built the bracket off the two outside bolts holding the A/C compressor to its bracket, then ran a support to one of the alternator bolts.
100_0814.jpg

100_0816.jpg

Front-top side of the bracket...
100_0817.jpg

Back of the bracket, plate capturing the four bolts on the side of the york, tied into the alt. mount...
100_0818.jpg

Front view, a Yellow top is mounted on the drivers side with a slightly modified stock battery tray...
100_0819.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!:rof:

Vet

I haven't noticed any slipping from the york pulley or the A/C pulley though I don't use that one much...

Sorry no other pics, the one from the rear really shows most of it. It is a piece of plate drilled to match the holes on the york, a piece of angle welded to the plate to capture the two bolts on the side of the A/C comp., then another piece of strap or whatever cut to the appropriate length/angle to capture the alternator bolt...I will see if i can find a reason to take it off and get some pics!

Is there enough wrap on the pulley to keep the belt from slipping?

Any pics of the bracket outside of the vehicle?

Back