• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm driving my aw4 like a stick

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Tried a search and found no info.Tranny is in a 96 cherokee 4.0L This problem started intermittently a few weeks ago. The jeep always mad a loud bang when puy into drive, I was told that it was the driveline and locker taking up the slack. The tranny stays in OD mode when I take off it wont kick down to first at a stop. I am able to shift it manually and it shifts fine. It kicks down to passing gear no problem. The oil and filter has been changed at 15,000 miles give or take a couple 1,000. I'm hoping it's just the TCM. I do have a cooler and a temp guage on it, it rarely gets to just over 100 degrees, I know thats not the best for it. I've been using ATF+4 as per the manual for about 8 years. The drain plug has Dex II on it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.:helpme: OK so it took me 15 min to type this and I noticed someone else is having the same trouble so I'll keep an eye on his thread, thanks guys.

Last edited:
ADJUST and TEST your way to the answer.

ADJUST the throttle pressure cable.

TEST the TPS.

Remove, clean, lubricate, re-install, and properly ADJUST the NSS (it doesn't just keep the engine from cranking, it provides input to the TCU on gear selection).

TEST the brake pedal switch (if out of adjustment it effects torque converter lockup).

TEST the solenoids.

AW4 testing: http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

96's still have a separate TCU?

check the fuse to the TCU, might also be tied in wit hthe backup fuse.

96's still have a separate TCU?

check the fuse to the TCU, might also be tied in wit hthe backup fuse.

The TCU is separate from the ECU/PCM for the full XJ run. Some confusion rose over this when the TCU was relocated from the passenger side under the dash to the driver side.

X2 on the NSS. My 98 acted similar, only it would downshift to 1st a little too early. It was almost like slamming on the brakes at about 20 mph when coming to a stop. Removed NSS and cleaned and lubricated with Dielectric grease and hasn't happened since. That was last September.

The TCU is separate from the ECU/PCM for the full XJ run. Some confusion rose over this when the TCU was relocated from the passenger side under the dash to the driver side.

I are fuzzy on teh later models sometimes.

Back