• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont engage 4x4 from a stop when trans is in drive but will in neutral

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought this 99 XJ, AW4 with a 242 t case.

When I am stopped with transmission in drive and I through it into 4hi or 4 full time, it acts like its in 2wd. But when I am at a stop, place trans in neutral, and then into 4hi or 4 full time, place trans back in drive. It will engage...sometimes with a loud clunking sound.

Also it will not disengage the 4x4 immediately. Ill have to drive a few yards and then I get another clunk and its back in 2wd.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Last edited:
Nothing. The gears need to be 'syncronized'. It is common to have to go to neutral or have the vehicle slowly rolling forward under no power.

Nothing. The gears need to be 'syncronized'. It is common to have to go to neutral or have the vehicle slowly rolling forward under no power.

I know about the shifting into neutral but I've never had the loud clunking sound occur on any of my other XJs with the 231 t case.

With my others I have always been able to engage 4x4 high at a stop immediately. The only issue I've ever had is if the tires were spinning before I shifted into 4x4 and then I would have to place it into neutral and then back into drive but it would always work immediately with no clunking. That was on a 231 though and this is my first 242.

Going into 4HI is still "shift on the fly" meaning enough movement to allow the syncro's to align.Being stopped doesn't allow that to happen,but I've never even tried it that way

You might have to adjust your shift linkage.

Did you check your fluid level? Might just need some lube. I like to check the simple things first.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

My 242 does not disengage immediately either. It takes a 30-40 feet to clunk into 2wd. Its been like that forever.

mine also slightly clicks when it shifts. it is MUCH easier to shift in and out of 4WD when moving. the 242 is finnicky as well. if it stays in 4WD and doesnt make unusual noises and operates fine just let it be.

When shifting into 4x4 Part time: "...while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed."

When shifting into 4x4 Full time: "...while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed."

When shifting into 4LO: "...slow the vehicle to 2-3 miles per hour, shift the transmission into neutral, then shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly to the rear into 4 LO."

Ok, I hope everyone read the above carefully because there will be a test.

TEST: when shifting a transfer case into 4x4 Part time, 4x4 Full time, or 4LO, what is the COMMON FACTOR?

Answer: the vehicle should be MOVING.

Back