• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Snowplow... Air Shocks?

Wildchild467

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ and i installed brand new factory Upcountry Coils (bigger wire diameter) which gave me the 2" lift. a couple years later i found a snowplow at the junk yard, rebuilt everything and it works like a charm. i thought with the heavier coils, it would help with the weight and it has. I changed the plow blade because the old one was rusted out and the one i have on it now is in great shape and heavier than the original. the plow is a western unimount 6'6". I would think air shocks are a cheap alternative to keep the ride high back to normal with the plow on and help bring ride height back and tow in correct which we all know is a problem with the inverted Y steering. I cant find front airshocks any where. does anybody have any imputs what i could do to help?

You can't 'bolt in' air shocks to a XJ for the front or rear. Either decrease the weight hanging off the front or get stiffer springs... Or run a spacer for while the plow is installed.

Yea XJ suspension isnt set up to simply swap in airshocks. IF you could find a way to do it, it would cost you far more than simply getting stiffer springs. Or as asp said, the least expensive and easiest to install would be spacers on the front.

My vote is go buy some spacers. Poly pucks can be had for cheap. Installation is a piece of cake compared to anything else that will do the same job.

Cargo coils coupled with HD police shocks. Will give you same lift but won't compress as far. Really heavy duty and just don't wear out. You can order them at most any parts store.

If your going to take the plow on/off, I would suggest the ACOS adjusters,that way you can dial the ride height up/down.

Last edited:
yea, i would really love to have air suspension up front, that would eliminate all of my problems. what heavier springs could i put in there? same height but just bigger wire? i want to say it is a .590" wire now, but i could be wrong. I know they make air shocks for the rear, but nothing for the front. Im wondering what the stroke is for the fron vs. the rear. if they were the same, maybe i could make an adapter to mount them in the front somehow. Then in the off season, replace the shocks with originals. They are easy enough to change. If i dont do that, does anybody have information of what it takes to put air suspension in the front... has anybody done it with an application like this? Or what spring to use? ZX V8 coils i dont think are heavy enough. I apppriecate you guys info/opinions!

ZJ springs? I have the upcountry springs now and they add 2" allready.

How hard are timbrens to install? I have the fabrication skills, i just hate to cut my cherokee body up and not be able to go back to stock. I wouldnt have a problem doing stuff to the axle because i always could get another one from the junk yard if i wanted to.

Well, to install airshocks, you'd have to cut the whole front clip up. Timbren is a company. What product of theirs are you talking about?

If your going to take the plow on/off, I would suggest the ACOS adjusters,that way you can dial the ride height up/down.

This, or the spacers as suggested earlier.

Some have installed F150 coils for a cheap lift, they would be stiff as heck but would probably do the job and be cheap at a salvage yard.

Back