• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99xj die's when turning left

jonb8

NAXJA Forum User
First off I'd like to thank you guy's, I've searched on here for years and fixed alot of xj's from your advice. This one I'm going to have to post on, a friend's 99xj aw4/231 die's randomly when turning left only. It alway's starts right back up but very dangerous for his wife to drive and she needs the jeep to get to work. He had a shop hook up a computer and drive it till it died and it showed no codes. I'm going to get the jeep tomorrow to try to fix and I was wondering if anyone had any advise, I'm going to do grounds and terminals but is there anything else to look at? If I swap columns will it mess up the air bags?

pull the fuel pump and strainer assembly.
Find black hose that's fallen off/fallen apart
Replace hose.
Enjoy no more air sucked by pump at 1/2tank or less and turning left.

Check for CPS wire hitting exhaust manifold on left hand turns. I've had one and seen several others.

Thanks, both answers make sense especially since I was leaning toward shorted wire in column and didn't want to tear into that....

Updates??

I too am having this problem now. Only when the gas gauge lights up to tell me when it's almost empty. Turn left at a light and about half way through the turn the truck sputters for about 1/2 a second then comes back.

'98

Reasons to NOT let your fuel run low:

1. When the ZOMBIES attack, it is not a good time to be waiting in line at the gas station.

2. Each time your in-tank fuel pump sucks air it damages the pump.

3. Good in-tank fuel pumps are expensive.

4. You have to drop the fuel tank in late model XJs to change the in-tank fuel pump you damaged by not filling up sooner.

5. People on NAXJA will smirk when you post up about how the engine dies when turning left after you have gone well below 1/4 tank of fuel.

Seriously, my Dad taught me to fill up when about 1/2 empty--it keeps you from sucking crap from the bottom of the tank; it reduces the build up of condensation within the fuel tank; and IF you do have to get out of town quick--zombies or no zombies--you will get farther on a half tank than a eighth of a tank.

Back