• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue, nothing in search

Corprin

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent hours trying to find another thread describing the issue I have with the new-to-me '99 XJ.

Cold or warm, when I try to start the engine, it just cranks and cranks. After 10-12 cranks it will fire, and run fine. Now, if I let it crank 2-3 times, back off into the "run" position, and immediately try again, she fires up on the 2-3 crank.

I always allow the fuel pump to prime the system (other DD is a KJ CRD, so I am used to a bit of wait) and this does nothing.

any ideas?

If you are suffering an "extended crank time" when the engine is cold OR hot, the problem isn't likely to be the check valve, although I would not rule it out.

But that doesn't mean that you aren't losing fuel pressure QUICKLY. Get a fuel pressure gauge, install it on the schrader valve and do some fuel pressure testing and then you will know. More on that below. You really need fuel pressure data to determine if you have a fuel pressure issue or if it is something else.....

What is the condition of tuneup hardware? For a 99, that means plugs, wires, cap, rotor. A strong ignition system is important to a quick fireup.

Refreshing all engine grounds is never a bad idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Some troubleshooting tips for extended crank times:

Hook up fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail

Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

Observe test gauge. Normal operating pressure should be 49.2 psi (plus or minus 5 psi)

Shut engine off.

Pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes.

If pressure falls below 30 psi, it must be determined if a fuel injector, the check valve within the fuel pump module, or a fuel tube/line is leaking. An adaptor tool/hose included with the fuel pressure gauge can help you with this. Consult gauge manual for more information on this but here is basically how it works:

*Turn the engine off and immediately clamp the fuel line at the adaptor hose. Watch the pressure gauge and see how long it takes to lose pressure.

*If the pressure remains at 49 psi for an extended period of time then the problem is in the tank - possibly the check valve. If the pressure falls below 49 psi fairly rapidly then the problem is probably a leaky fuel injector.

If you are suffering an "extended crank time" when the engine is cold OR hot, the problem isn't likely to be the check valve, although I would not rule it out.

But that doesn't mean that you aren't losing fuel pressure QUICKLY. Get a fuel pressure gauge, install it on the schrader valve and do some fuel pressure testing and then you will know. More on that below. You really need fuel pressure data to determine if you have a fuel pressure issue or if it is something else.....

What is the condition of tuneup hardware? For a 99, that means plugs, wires, cap, rotor. A strong ignition system is important to a quick fireup.

Refreshing all engine grounds is never a bad idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Some troubleshooting tips for extended crank times:

Hook up fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail

Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

Observe test gauge. Normal operating pressure should be 49.2 psi (plus or minus 5 psi)

Shut engine off.

Pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes.

If pressure falls below 30 psi, it must be determined if a fuel injector, the check valve within the fuel pump module, or a fuel tube/line is leaking. An adaptor tool/hose included with the fuel pressure gauge can help you with this. Consult gauge manual for more information on this but here is basically how it works:

*Turn the engine off and immediately clamp the fuel line at the adaptor hose. Watch the pressure gauge and see how long it takes to lose pressure.

*If the pressure remains at 49 psi for an extended period of time then the problem is in the tank - possibly the check valve. If the pressure falls below 49 psi fairly rapidly then the problem is probably a leaky fuel injector.

Since you are in Melrose, why not just come and fix it for me ;)

Seriously, thank you for the quick response! I will check tune-up bits tomorrow, as I finally can pull a vehicle in the garage again. (been aging this season's buck where we normally park). Will also test fuel pressures as described.

Thank you again!

Can we assume that you use some fuel injector cleaner every 3-4 months ?

I vote for a failed check valve on the fuel pump. Testing, as outlined above, will prove or disprove this.

Last edited:
Can we assume that you use some fuel injector cleaner every 3-4 months ?

I vote for a failed check valve on the fuel pump. Testing, as outlined above, will prove or disprove this.

Actually, I have only owned the XJ for two weeks. Plucked it from Morries Brooklyn Park, for $2k less than asking price. They couldn't get it to start and idle :laugh:. Battery had a dead cell, and the alternator had a bad voltage regulator. Had an Optima sitting in the garage, and the Alt was only $76.

I am slowly getting it fixed back up, and abusing the hell out of my wholesale account with carquest!

Thus far, I have done...
rehung broken tail-pipe mount
right and left front axle/hub u-joints
right and left front brake rotors
right and left front hub/bearing assembly
alternator
battery
right upper and lower ball-joints (had 1/8" play in them)
thermostat and gasket
Bosch Icon wiper blades
Sylvania Silverstar headlights
rear hatch support struts

Try this: instead of cranking the engine 2-3 times, then doing that again, try turning the key to ON, allow the fuel pump to "prime" for about 1-2 seconds, then turn the key OFF. Repeat the ON/OFF prime 2-3 times, THEN crank the engine. If she lights off pretty quick the check valve is your problem.

ALSO--guessing from your comments you are somewhere in the vast wastelands of the great and frozen North--how good of a battery did you install? How many CCA? New or used?

Try this: instead of cranking the engine 2-3 times, then doing that again, try turning the key to ON, allow the fuel pump to "prime" for about 1-2 seconds, then turn the key OFF. Repeat the ON/OFF prime 2-3 times, THEN crank the engine. If she lights off pretty quick the check valve is your problem.
Will try this tomorrow before I head out to get a fuel pressure test kit.

ALSO--guessing from your comments you are somewhere in the vast wastelands of the great and frozen North--how good of a battery did you install? How many CCA? New or used?
Battery is a optima series 35 that was in my wife's DD '84 GTI, till it went into winter storage in October. The battery is about 2yr old, and has never been fully discharged (although isn't an issue with AGM) Factory spec states it has 720 CCA.

Ok, plenty of CCA in that battery, but I would make sure it has a good charge on it and have it load tested for peace of mind.

Yeah, this is the same problem that i have... I bought a 99 the other day and it's just a hard hard start... it takes like 5-7 spins to crank. I'm going to try this... Thanks guys.

Back