• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All around good tire suggestions

jeeptech1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey im new to the forum but not to jeeps. ive read many different posts/threads and the info is awesome! anyway. i have a 1996 jeep cherokee that im going to be lifting soon. my question is in the tire department. what in your guys experience is the best all around mud (or all terrain if it works better than a mudder) tire. i live in oregon so mud, steeps climbs, water, snow, ice, rocks are all in the mix. this will be my daily driver and is going to moab in a year or two and will be driven there and back(hopefully). im looking in the 33 range and am really leaning towards the 33x10.5r15 km2s. any advice is apreciated!

Hard to beat the top 2, BFG and Goodyear. People seem to like the KM2s, I'm a BFG man myself and like the BFG All-terrain for mostly street time and the mud-terrain for more crawling than street. Of course I'm a desert guy so the Baja T/A is my weapon of choice, it's one of the best sand/dirt tires that is still DOT legal and works exceptionally well for what I do.

Ice/snow is a different animal though, you're going to want a tire that has some siping in the tread so you still grip on the ice. Any mud tire is going to work half way decent in the snow but the second you hit a patch of ice all traction is going to go bye-bye if the tread lugs are smooth.

edit: I'm an idiot, thanks oblivion :D

Last edited:
umm, BFG is the KM2, Goodyear is the kevlar MTR

haha, well thats what I get for posting after a few beers. either way I'm a desert racer my tires rarely touch the street :D

Not to get too far off track, but I have something to say about BFG. I always loved my Mud-Terrains over the years. It's my understanding the BFG was purchased by Michelin along with Uni-Royal.

Michelin is supposedly owned by the French government. That doesn't sit well with me.

Goodyear Duratrac's are a great tire for snow/ice conditions.

In Indiana we have similar terrain to you and if you plan to wheel it quite a bit in muddy conditions go ahead and throw the AT idea out the window. Around here we have to run the most aggresive MT we can to get good tractionlockers or not). When I bought my current Jeep It came with Kumho Road Venture MT's on it and i'm actually pretty impressed by them, I just don't care for a directional tire. I am looking at picking up 33x10.5 KM2's as well and as a matter of fact I saw them the other day on tire rack for $161 a tire. My rig is also My DD so I don't like to skimp on important stuff. From what I hear the KM2's kinda fail in the clearing mud department but they have great road manners.

Not to get too far off track, but I have something to say about BFG. I always loved my Mud-Terrains over the years. It's my understanding the BFG was purchased by Michelin along with Uni-Royal.

Michelin is supposedly owned by the French government. That doesn't sit well with me.

lol

Personally I love the BFG All-Terrains, all around can't beat them. Have original Mud Terrains on my XJ now, was going to replace them with the A/T's this month but after some reading the new KM2's seem like an all around better tire so I'm gonna give them a whirl.

BFG ATs on my DD. Just from a tire noise factor, I have to reccommend them if you drive on the street a lot. If you don't care about road noise, the MTs work better in mud. 'Haven't had any personal experience with snow on the ATs, so I can't make any personal comments about AT- vs -MT in snow debate.

You should be able to do most anything in Moab with ATs. "Slickrock" is the name, not the description, of the rock around there. it's actually a pretty hi-traction surface.

Personal experience: I tried a set of Goodyear MT-Rs(old style) on my DD Cherokee. They were so loud, I won't consider them for anything that sees highway speeds. 'Could have gotten them for free, and turned them down.

KM2s. Did a whole bunch of snow wheelin yesterday and I love them even more. For anybody who says they suck in the snow, I dont get it. Throw some spin on them and they'll clean out and pull you forward. I even dug through the ice all the way down till a could grab some dry dirt a couple times. I am very happy with my KM2s.

BFG ATs on my DD. Just from a tire noise factor, I have to reccommend them if you drive on the street a lot. If you don't care about road noise, the MTs work better in mud. 'Haven't had any personal experience with snow on the ATs, so I can't make any personal comments about AT- vs -MT in snow debate.

They are rated for severe snow service. and untill the KM2's (I don't believe they're rated but they are given higher/equal marks in all catagories) they are they only tire I'd put on the Female's XJ for her and the kid. Also from personal experiance in northern Ohio, they are amazing in the snow and ice, used them exclusively on a my plow trucks back in the day, haven't found anything short of a full dedicated snow tire that measures up.

From www.tirerack.com

"While most BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements (and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol), selected tires do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's severe snow service requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on the Sizes & Pricing, as well as on Specs."

I have Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on mine. 33x12.5R15 on a '97 XJ 6.5" Lift and open front and rear and they do great so far! Will go through anything! Kinda a big tire for the rear in 2WD but in 4WD they are amazing!!!!!

In Colorado I'm running Firestone 33X12.50R15 mud tires that I had the dealer sipe for me. I have no lockers and stock gearing. Went to Moab this year and did a great job. No issues in the snow either. I work for a commercial tire manufacturer. Siping is a must in the snow and ice. The more bitting edges the better which is why AT tires give better traction in the snow and ice. MT are a must for rock crawling for the durability of the overall tire. Stick to MT's with aftermarket siping. With the siping make sure they only sipe from the outer void to the other outer void. Leave the shoulders alone for stability. This worked for me.

Back