• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon bound 16 year old.

Cole93maxxxj

NAXJA Forum User
i am 16 years old and i got my jeep when i was 14. me and my dad started rebuilding her with money i earned mowing lawns, including the the 4.0 engine and the aw4 tranny. everything is either new or rebuild from front to back. (except the body) i have custom fabricated many things myself. Ive built a front bumper. a roof rack. lower control arms. sway bar quick disco's. a light bar. reinforced my rear sub frame. i am in the process of building front and rear diff cover guards and rock sliders. I have a 3 inch junk yard lift that i got for 50 bucks. and i have added a 1.5" BB to that. i just recently revived a Ramsey 8,000 lb winch from my grandpa. i have done some light wheeling so far and needless to say i am hooked. i have big plans to do the Rubicon this summer. im working hard still mowing lawns every weekend to fund my project. :patriot:

Cherokee forum link is more in depth: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-first-jeep-my-first-car-26434/

9842-one-my-favorite-pics.jpg

stock

9839-before-rebuild-baddd.jpg

motor before

9840-all-my-hard-work-sweat-went-into-bad-boy.jpg

After:yap:

23847-all-mounted-trimmed.jpg

3 inch lift with my custom bumper

26243-eastern-sierras-0028.jpg

my first wheeling trip

60352_160446363968475_100000093375821_502877_2080388_n.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

it also has new axles out of a 99 cherokee

149698_170963006250144_100000093375821_570832_436720_n.jpg

after the bb for a grand total of 4.5-5 inches of lift :yap:

148330_178912132121898_100000093375821_620323_4992563_n.jpg

how she sits today. :patriot:

Welcome and nice work... just one suggestion. The low pinion D30 from a 99 is actually weaker in the R&P than your original axle by 25%. If you still have it, the shafts are better in the 99. Put them together and you have the best of both worlds. The 8.25 rear is a huge improvement over the D35.

Welcome and nice work... just one suggestion. The low pinion D30 from a 99 is actually weaker in the R&P than your original axle by 25%. If you still have it, the shafts are better in the 99. Put them together and you have the best of both worlds. The 8.25 rear is a huge improvement over the D35.

wow. i did not know that. i actually just sold my old axle... it was rusted to hell. what makes the newer d30 weaker?

wow. i did not know that. i actually just sold my old axle... it was rusted to hell. what makes the newer d30 weaker?

It is a low pinion. The gears run on the coast side of the gears, which is weaker than the drive side.

It is a low pinion. The gears run on the coast side of the gears, which is weaker than the drive side.

dont worry about it. D30's are fine for 33's. Having a HP 30 just makes it harder to upgrade when you run 35's.... even though you really should.

How much do you have tied up in that jeep? Reminds me alot of the 94 I just picked up. I want to make it a mild DD and run 32's.

Wait you built that bumper? fing sick! Does it just mount on the stock holes?

oh shit just saw some of your youtube videos, nice work! You did get a 8.25 out of the 99 right?

My 99 has the high pinion. I thought 2000 brought on the low pinions.

This a common misconception. It would be true if the HP and LP used the same ring and pinion, but they are made differently. That is exactly the reason they are not interchangeable. I can guarantee you that the LP is not running on the coast side of the gears.

Damn, Kid got some skills. Welcome aboard!

Good job on the XJ; I really like what you've done with it. Welcome, and be sure to get plenty of pics when you hit the Rubicon :D

It is nice to see a kid working to build a NICE rig. Too many have things handed to them and don't appreciate it. Here in the Colorado Chapter we have and have had many young guys, and ladies, who started wheeling before they even had a normal driver's license. It really teaches you situational awareness and will make you a better driver for the rest of your life.

You should try and make it to ColoradoFest.

dont worry about it. D30's are fine for 33's. Having a HP 30 just makes it harder to upgrade when you run 35's.... even though you really should.

How much do you have tied up in that jeep? Reminds me alot of the 94 I just picked up. I want to make it a mild DD and run 32's.

Wait you built that bumper? fing sick! Does it just mount on the stock holes?

yea i got about 4,500 bucks in it. give or take. ill never get as much out of it that i put in. but i learned soooo much and that knowledge dose not have a price tag! ( thats what my dad tells me ) and thanks ya i put alot of time into that bumper! it bolts into stock holes and 2 other places further back on the sub frame. theres pictures of the bumper build on CF...

oh shit just saw some of your youtube videos, nice work! You did get a 8.25 out of the 99 right?

yea both axles are out of the 99. 8.25 and d 30. ya i got alot of vids on youtube.

It is nice to see a kid working to build a NICE rig. Too many have things handed to them and don't appreciate it. Here in the Colorado Chapter we have and have had many young guys, and ladies, who started wheeling before they even had a normal driver's license. It really teaches you situational awareness and will make you a better driver for the rest of your life.

You should try and make it to ColoradoFest.

thank you very much! as much as i would love to go to Colorado fest... i live in California. so not exactly within my reach on my budget...

got a set of wheel spacers a full length Rusty's add a leaf (to fix my sag) and a rusty's trackbar. a few pics of her all cleaned up and new toys installed. and im working on a set of sliders in hopes to keep the rocks out of my body. will post pics when im done with them.

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

lookin sharp! ;)

you guys might get a kick out of this... i broke in winch a couple weeks back. got a call from my buddy at 6:30am he drove into a ditch. they were plowing down some corn to set out decoys and didnt see the ditch in the corn in the pitch black. so it took me 2 ours to find them in the middle on nowhere and like 10 mins to winch em out. they should bought a jeep then they wouldn't have had to call me to come save them.

1218100842.jpg

1218100842a.jpg

1218100842b.jpg

Oh ya. and i gutted my interior. fixed some rust and added a new (to me) carpet and headliner out of a 98 Cherokee had to do a little modification to make the headliner fit. (both in good shape.)
sorry its been a while since i posted here. so gotta catch yall up.

downsize-2.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

my seats were already out of a 99 cherokee.

DSC00804.jpg

Back