• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise from front when cold?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 XJ that recently having a clunking noise coming from the front axle that is related to wheel speed, but it only happens if I have left the XJ parked for a few hours. It first appeared when I drove it in the first winter storm of this year in 4-wheel drive, but now it seems to happen almost every cold morning. For example, when I start up the heep in the morning, reverse out of my driveway, then start driving forward, I can hear/feel a very small clunking noise. The strange thing about this is that the noise will disappear after I speed up, and won't reappear until the XJ has been sitting for a while again, no matter how hard I try to re-create the symptoms.

My first thought is that that the axle u-joints are on their last leg. It feels like it's coming from the passenger side front, which also makes me think it's the u-joint. I haven't taken the shaft out to see if there's any play though because I only want to take it apart once, preferably when I repair it. Is it normal for the problem to come and go like that? By the time I get back home and have an opportunity to look at everything while it's on jack stands, the problem is gone and I am left scratching my head. This happen to anyone else, and what did the problem end up being? These u-joints have around 100K on them, FYI.

I started experiencing this last week. Even went so far as to trust my wife turning the wheel back and forth while I layed under the front of the jeep and watched the axle and steering linkage. I did not observe anything loose or evident that would cause the problem. So like Jeeperguy I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?

I have been experiencing the same thing and here is what I concluded....Tires are made of rubber and when they sit with weight on them for a long time while its cold they want to keep their shape. Pretty much you have a flat spot on all four tires in the exact same spot that will slowly go away after driving a few blocks....Now I am not positive this is the case but it makes the most sense to me.

Could be just about anything that can stick or is loose or affected by temperature expansion, from brake noise, shocks, to steering, front end bushings, to loose engine exhaust flange doughnut or exhaust manifold to loose lug nuts on a wheel, in addition to what you already mentioned.

I have had all of those at one time or another and had a hell of a time finding an identifying each as the noise was not enough of a clue by itself to identify the source.

Do the fast simple things first, like check the wheel lug nuts.

Try heating up the engine real good before driving on a cold morning start up to eliminate the exhaust system. Check all the suspension parts for any play, tie rods, shocks, steering box...bushings. You can drive with the front drive shaft removed as a test. I have even found the remains of a loose, broken nail in a tire once that was the noise source.

Thanks, mine is experience by just turning the wheel while sitting still. And, it just started in the last week with our near zero temps. I checked all of the obvious stuff, and like I said even had the wife crank the wheel back and fourth while I layed under the rig and watched my steering and axle. It does go away as the vehicle is driven and warms up. Nothing just jumping out there and screaming here it is. Friggin wierd, and basically driving me nuts!

I have had that problem twice. First time was early warning on the steering box, second time was the pitman arm in the steering linkage IIRC. Both took two experts, one at the wheel, and one pushing/pulling on and feeling the pitman are, etc as the wheel was genlty nudged back and forth, very slowly.

Spent some time under the fromt end with my son turning the wheel back and fourth. Mine is the steering box. I waited until it got back down in temp today and when it hit about 12 degrees it really shows up big time. Guess I know waht I will be doing later this week.

Glad you figured it out. Back to the original problem, mine is related to tire speed. It only makes the repetitive thunking when moving and it goes faster or slower depending on my speed. Once I accelerate fast enough, say, above 15 mph, the sound goes away and doesn't reappear until it's parked for a while. It does it no matter if I'm turning or going straight down the road. I'll spend some time tomorrow trying to diagnose this one, but would still appreciate any feedback if you have some.

Have you looked at your front driveline? Almost sounds like you could have a bad u-joint. The axle u-joints should get more noisy when they are loaded on a turn.

I have only looked at the front drive shaft, but haven't done more than that. That's definitely a possibility though. I'll report back with what I find.

Be sure to check the tire tread for a rock or nail too! I have had that make the speed timed click noise too.

When my front drive shaft u-joints started to go, it only made noise on a sharp turn up or down an incline.

It's a long shot but have you looked at your brake rotors and calipers.

By the way thanks for letting me hi-jack your thread....hope I can return the favor sometime.

The noise hasn't occurred lately because it has been rather warm here the past week or so. After a snowstorm hit last night and it cooled off again, the noise is definitely back.
It seems to be related to the brakes. When I start going and it is making the thunking noise, it will disappear as soon as I put the slightest pressure on the pedal. I'll have time to look at this tomorrow since I'm off work, but it would be nice to have some ideas before I dive into this. What would cause the brakes to make a noise like that?

Back