• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant temps?

sotrhRaven

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Florida. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6 cylinder. What are normal temps. for coolant. I just replaced my radiator, thermostat, and the gasket. I was losing coolant slowly. It running at 210 wondering if this is normal.

Ben

200-210 is the range that I've seen. 210 is just fine. No worries about THAT.

However, If you are STILL losing coolant after your cooling system repairs, (keep an eagle eye on your coolant reservoir) you are either leaking it or burning it.

In the event that the level in the coolant reservoir continues to drop........

1. Perform a comprehensive search for that leak!
2. If no leak is found and you are still using coolant, it is possible that you may have a cracked cylinder head. Your 01 has the infamous 0331 head, which cracks easier than most other XJ heads. If this is the case, you want to address it before coolant gets into your oil and toasts the bearings on your engine.

Did a test drive this morning. Everything seems to be fine now. I did notice that the electric fan is not coming on when it is supposed to. Look at replacing it. Thanks for all the info.

Ben

check that the fan is actually getting power with a meter, or jump the fan to 12V. If you jump the fan to 12V and it spins then it's not the fan.

your fan is PCM controlled with a relay, could be the relay, could be the temp sender, could be any wiring issue in between.

Did a test drive this morning. Everything seems to be fine now. I did notice that the electric fan is not coming on when it is supposed to. Look at replacing it. Thanks for all the info.

Ben

And when would that be? On your year XJ the aux fan is completely controlled by the PCM, and it DOESN'T come on just because the a/c is turned on.

It likely won't be turned on by the PCM until around 217 degrees--are you hitting that?

I was going on what I saw. I will watch the temps if they get high I will check the fan. If it doesn't come on when you suggested I will troubleshoot it. Appreciate the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Miami in the summer with the ac going and being stuck in traffic on the highway in the afternoon I never see it go over 210, 200-210 is my normal range. I have a 99 4.0 with 192K
Hot wire your fan and check if it comes on and then check the relay, and fuse. No sense in just replacing the fan. It should come on automatically if you unplug the coolant temperature sensor in the t stat housing with the engine running.

Last edited:
Back