• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple traverses Congo

Holy crap, what a story.

I just read the whole thing. Couldn't tear myself away from it. Easily the most epic first hand account of anything I have ever read on a forum.

I'm thinking of asking if they have a paypal account. I would donate $10 just for the honor and fun of having read that thread.

My wife thinks that roughing it is a bed and breakfast :D

For those that dedicate the 4-5 hours that it takes to read the thread, there were many encouraging them to write a book about it. I don't think they will, from Fredderick's response on p. 67ish. That said, if they did write it, I'd buy it.

Did you watch the netbroadcast? It is about an hour and a half and is good.

holy crap, that is an awesome read.

I would love to do this sometime but I'd bring a whole jeep worth of spare parts, and something to filter fuel before using it. Oh well, that's probably why I'm wishing I would do it instead of actually doing it like they did.

It reminds me of a book I read as a kid - "I Married Adventure" by Martin and Osa Johnson.

I stumbled on this article from a link on another web site. I've spent the last 4 days reading this (inbetween work and stuff). Holey Moley! I haven't had an article/story that has kept me on the edge of my seat as this one has.

I thought 'I need to link this article on NAXJA'...

Then I saw OverlandXJ was a member on that web site and I knew it was already here. :laugh3:

All I can say is wow!! Just goes to show we're all just a bunch of weekend warriors compared to these folks that actually do this.

Wow!

Last edited:
I read about 1/2 of the thread before I had to go back to work.

Good read. I was amazed they picked the Congo. It's bad enough fighting what nature throws at you without having to deal with the crumbling infrastructure of a country in the middle of a decades old civil war with utterly corrupt "Officials" at every turn.

I liked the bit where he told the local Police 'No, I'm not under arrest', and then they proceeded to try and shake him down for money.

The road trip is interesting. Before there were interstates, pavement of any kind, reliable cars, universal parts, etc, there were a number of enterprising individuals that attempted to cross the US in motorcars. It kinda reminded me of that. I liked the part where they had to wait until the electricity was turned back on so someone at the Mission could turn them out a bolt on their lathe. Now that... is hard core.

their story is amazing. i can't even fathom going on that type of journey and even been close to prepared for what you would encounter.

unfortunately i got to page 8 and now it's tell me the forum is forbidden so i can't continue reading :huh:

what a great read, it took me a couple weeks, but what an awesome, brave couple.

It gets even more impressive when you read outside sources that quote that in the Congo in the last 10 years that 6 million people have been killed in political, racial, and other strife.

Wow, I'm hooked and only 1 page in.
Never REALLY thought about what a trip like this involves.

This keeps getting cross posted on almost every forum that I'm on. It's huge. The thread has almost 1.5M views now.

That reminds me, I need to get back to reading that. Think I got about 20 pages in and then stopped a few months ago. Crazy, still can't believe they skipped buying a winch so they could have a little more traveling money. That's A LOT of shoveling...

Agreed... and no spare parts either really?

I know they needed the space but damn. If they had just had a hub, some spider gears, rtv, seals, maybea shaft or two, and a winch their lives would have been far easier. That's stuff I always carry, minus the seals.

Not saying they should have carried spare everything, but these aren't exactly rare things to break.

Back