• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This is a 8.25....right??!!?!??

coldoath

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'm installing my RE 3.5" super flex and I ordered the D35 kit...so I got to put my U-bolts on and they won't even go around the axle. So I think SOB sent me the wrong bolts. Then I start to think...what if it's not a D35?! I just need to make sure. I've looked at a few pics online and I'm pretty sure I have a 8.25...right?! :confused1:loveu:

Photo_B518958B-F8C8-8EDB-99E0-CFF72FB5E908.jpg

Mother@#$^@$#&^!$^%!%!@%$ @$!@#%$ yea!!!!!! Bahahahaha!!!! I thought I had a D35 all this time!! Well that blunder tonight just turned into ultimate success! I feel like an idiot but I really don't care atm! Just saved me a ton of $$

so do d35's?

pretty sure all d35's have a threaded plug on the diff cover. never seen one with a plastic plug like the 8.25.

could be wrong but thats how i always new which was which.
the plug on a 44 is also different than a 35.

edit- never mind i just found an image of 35 with the plastic plug.. never seen that.
my bad

Last edited:
The #1 easiest way to tell the difference between the three axles is the profile of the bottom of the housing. The D35 has an almost perfectly rounded, somewhat shallow bottom lip, and 8.25 has a flat, deep lip, and the D44 has a lip that is neither roumd nor flat, but more of a point that is some what between the two in depth.

Another really easy way to determine is the shape of the cover, the D35 is perfectly oval, with no flat spots in it at all, and it tiny, where the 8.25 is a rather large, oval shape with flats at the top and bottom of the cover, and the D44 is some what of an oblong, kind of side ways diamond that is flat on the sides and between each point.

Well at least you didnt buy a locker thinking you had a dana 35 then found out you had a 8.25. Talk about feeling like and idiot!! That was when I first got into Xjs and i bought it off a guy on JF. Luckily a local guy traded me a locker for a 30.

Well at least you didnt buy a locker thinking you had a dana 35 then found out you had a 8.25. Talk about feeling like and idiot!! That was when I first got into Xjs and i bought it off a guy on JF. Luckily a local guy traded me a locker for a 30.

Ouch that would suck. I think lockers are a little more expensive than a U-bolt haha.

Yea my hopes were based on the flat bottom of the diff cover. Thanks guys for all the help and not bashing the @$^! out of me!:dunce:

yep... made the same rookie mistake when I lifted mine :gee: ended up giving away the ubolts for the d35 to a friend a few months later. Just glad I checked for fit before ripping anything off because it was my DD at the time.

You make money off my post I charge 10% commission.....bahaha jk

considering I'm shipping that cover to Joe_Peters on my dime and didn't ask for anything in return you can pay the shipping.

Don't ASSume that all things are done for profit, some of us just like parts to find homes with people that can use/need them.

Back