• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

760 u joint question

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have some late model D30 axle shaft with the 297 u joints that I started upgrading to the 760s. I got one apart and together no problem. The driverside gave me all kinds of he'll getting it apart. I managed to screw up the ears on the outer part of the shaft leading me to screw up a brand new 760. Damn it! There goes $35. Now I've been on the search of a new outer piece and was offered a set of alloy outer for a good price. My question is..
Can I separate the good shaft so I have matching outer and RE use/ RE install that 760u joint?

sure, don't see why not. Just make sure you don't damage it while separating it.

What are you using for install/removal? If you make a sort of a C shaped piece out of steel you can use it to press on the U-joint cross via the other set of ears instead of pressing through two caps at a time, which will make it easier to pop one cap out at a time and keep the joint in better shape.

I was using a 10 ton press.. I learned that can screw things up in a hurry. Wasn't sure if there would be any I'll effects down the road if I were to basically install an axle u joint twice. Thanks!

Well, you triple your chances of screwing it up but that's about all I can think of :gee:

A small hammer is ur best tool to install ujoints. Don't use a press or c clamp it only increases the chances of distorting the yokes.

This is one of those $100 hard learned lessons Robert! I'll keep the hammer trick in mind for now on.

Back