• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that part..trans boot (?)

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
I have a diesel XJ with the AX5 manual transmission and i'm looking for the lower boot for the shifter.

NOT the boot attached to the center console but the one underneath itm bolted to the trans tunnel.

I can't find it in my FSM or anywhere online.. and i don't even know what the damned thing is called...

Anyone?

the bushing at the bottom that engages the mode fork in the trans. It gets worn and leaves you with a bunch of slop and sometimes not enough throw to engage gears.

It's in that exploded diagram I linked.

There are like three boots--center console, then the boot screwed to the trans tunnel, then the little round "boot" to keep contamination out of the trans.

Here is an article on "renewing" the boot that is screwed to the trans tunnel:

http://xjav8r.blogspot.com/search/label/Shifter Boots

Thanks again guys. Big-gaping-hole-boot is my main concern.. it's wide open and i'm getting all the turbo noise inside. Now to find one for an XJ. As i'm in Europe i'm a bit reluctant to order something that "should" fit..
Might as well change the small trans boot and the bushing while i'm at it tho, great tip.

to remove the shift lever you push down on the round "cup" and turn it about a 1/4 turn counter clock wise (I think, it's been a long time). It's spring loaded under there so kep a hold of it, then the whole shifter assembly just pulls out. I fill my AX-15 like that as it's a ton easier than trying to use the fill plug underneath and it lets you overfill the gear box.

Also, after you have removed the shifter like 87manche explained, before installing a new or repaired boot you will need to separate the upper and lower shifter sections.

Use a vice to hold the shifter, at the "hump" on the shifter you will need to use a couple pieces of hack saw blade or a couple of small flat-blade screwdrivers to release the clips, and usually a mallet to drive the upper section up and off.

Also, after you have removed the shifter like 87manche explained, before installing a new or repaired boot you will need to separate the upper and lower shifter sections.

Use a vice to hold the shifter, at the "hump" on the shifter you will need to use a couple pieces of hack saw blade or a couple of small flat-blade screwdrivers to release the clips, and usually a mallet to drive the upper section up and off.

yeah I forgot about that.

taking the shifter apart is a PITA and will result in much cursing, and then it pops apart and you'll wonder how/what/why it was so hard to separate.

Just got it done. Splitting the shifter was easy, i just locked it in my vise, soaked it in penetrating liquid (5-56) and tapped it apart with a small hammer. Not a problem at all.

Had to get the inner boot from an YJ (i think) as i just couldn't find one for the XJ. The mounting ring on that boot turned out to be just a little bit smaller so i had to use the old ring to hold it in place. Seems nice and tight tho.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Merry Christmas :)

Pretty sharp "on-the-run" adaptation of the "ring".

Back