• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator recommendations needed

casm

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP242. It looks like my 10-year-old alternator is finally starting to give out, and I could use some recommendations as to a replacement.

Normally this would just be a case of going to the auto parts store and picking one up, but I've got the factory high-output (124-amp) unit in there - and the closest I can find is 117 amps, which isn't a huge drop over stock, but given the amount of electrical stuff I tend to run (particularly in Winter) I'd like to keep as close to what I have now as possible.

Dropping $400 on a Mean Green, Powermaster, or similar alternator is right out. Having the XJ down for a few days while I get the dying one rebuilt also isn't a possibility at the moment, nor is the ZJ/WJ/Durango swap/upgrade.

Well, you aren't leaving many options. Why is the ZJ swap not a possibility? That is probably the fast/inexpensive route. Wrecking yard is probably what you need to do.

There are no usable ZJs or WJs in a yard within a 30-mile radius, so the junkyard isn't an option. Between work and visiting relatives my time is extremely tight right now, and with nighttime temperatures getting into the low 20s / high teens I'd like to keep the amount of work necessary to do the replacement to a bare minimum - hence why I'm looking for a straight replacement.

maybe buy one of the cheaper,readily available,super discount,local auto parts store unit outright (no exchange) and have your big `un rebuilt while you get all you can out of the cheap one. this will probably be the fastest way back on the road.

Either the last above me, or find a different shop! I've gone to Rod for rewinds and upwinds, and he can usually have them done in a couple of hours (rarely, if I'm in a hurry, he can have it overhauled and tested while we're yakking for 15-20 minutes...)

Either the last above me, or find a different shop! I've gone to Rod for rewinds and upwinds, and he can usually have them done in a couple of hours (rarely, if I'm in a hurry, he can have it overhauled and tested while we're yakking for 15-20 minutes...)

We've got a similar shop near-ish to here that does excellent work in this regard. The problem is that they're the go-to guys because they do such good work - and right now their turnaround time is 10 days to two weeks. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but my backup vehicle is having issues as well, and I'm in waiting-for-parts hell on that one too. Thank you, Mr. Murphy, for your excellent timing...

However, it looks like I'll be trekking up to the DC area Monday or Tuesday, and will have better pickings as a result. Appreciate the advice, and if it goes out completely (right now it's just demonstrating symptoms of a failing alternator) before then I'll definitely snag the parts store unit as a get-me-through until I can make it out of the Boonies next week.

I have an old schoolmate that owns his own Starter and Generator shop.
For the last 30 years or so....everything that I have owned that needed a starter, alternator or generator rebuilt, he has done.
I have never had to take anything he has rebuilt back to him.
When he does a rebuild he replaces everything new in them (except maybe the armature)....unlike the remans do..... which only replace the parts that are bad only.
And in my case he's cheaper than the autoparts store remans.

Last edited:
rebuild it yourself.

http://www.springhillautoelectric.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5185

Kit Contains:

Stator
- Precision Wound Double Insulted
Heavy Duty Negative Rectifier
- 3-50A button diodes
- Aluminum heat sink
Heavy Duty Positive Rectifier
- 3-50A button diodes
- Aluminum heat sink
Insulators
- Capacitor
- Heat sink
- Battery Post
- Brush Holder
Brush Holders
Brushes
Capacitor
Front & Rear Bearings
- Double Sealed With High Temperature Grease
Price: $78.26

I think that's the proper kit for your alt. It's not hard, just be careful with the brushes. Might want to call and confirm that those are the right parts. They say chrysler, but pretty sure chrysler's been using Denso forever now.

Anyway, here's te step by step, with pictures, so I know you can follow along....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/rebuilding-nippon-denso-alternator-00-01-56041822aa-835511/

Edit, if you undo the pulley before you take the alternator out the belt will keep it from moving so you don't have to build that special tool. Don't take it all the wya off, just loosen it a bit so you can get it off easily whe the shaft is freewheeling.

Last edited:
I have an old schoolmate that owns his own Starter and Generator shop.
For the last 30 years or so....everything that I have owned that needed a starter, alternator or generator rebuilt, he has done.
I have never had to take anything he has rebuilt back to him.
When he does a rebuild he replaces everything new in them (except maybe the armature)....unlike the remans do..... which only replace the parts that are bad only.
And in my case he's cheaper than the autoparts store remans.

Ditto Rod - which is why I've been dealing with him for the last dozen years or so. "The best warranty is the one you don't need."

Back