• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ making a popping/knocking noise in front end

96WarthoG

NAXJA Forum User
New to NAXJA but not to XJ's, though this is my first (and only) cherokee, I've put plenty of money and time into it. But anyhow, my problem is that when I accelerate, my jeep makes a popping noise, It sounds as though it is coming from the t-case region, but I cant be completely sure. The noise gets more rapid the faster I drive, I suppose it could be a universal, but Im not so sure, I know my transfer case was always pretty fussy, and the 4 inch lift didnt help much. Im just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, as im sure its not too uncommon in lifted jeeps. As an added note, I have the Transfer case drop, and When I put my longer LCAs on, the noise seemed to become more pronounced. Any input is appreciated, thnx.

is it an auto? Many have probs with cracking flexplates and that will make a popping sound as the crack goes around.

welcome to the world of lifted jeeps haha. I would check all of your control arm bushings

Ya I had the same problem and it did end up being the trackbar mount

If you are having other tcase issues, could be a stretched chain in the tcase if the "popping" isnt real loud. Mine did this when the chain was making contact with the tcase housing. Would also make sense that it increases with speed.

Ben

Mine does the same thing when it gets cold out. Not sure if its a CA bushing or something to that effect.
I wouldnt worry about it too much, heck mine still runs!

If it gets faster with speed (and is constant) that narrows it down. Id skip tracbar and other bushings and check front wheel and driveshaft ujoints and the tcase.

My MJ does this sometimes when I am in/out of 4wd/low range. It is just not fully disengaging right away. In my case it usually goes away in a few feet. My guess is that your having a similar problem, but yours is because you moved/changed the t-case linkage a little bit when you put the t-case drop on. You probably just need to re-adjust the linkage a little bit.

Back