• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What will 2011 bring?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
What's your plans for next year? Any trips planned?

This economy is killing me, i dont know if i'll be able to attempt a trip west this year, might have to settle for local trips with maybe a trip to Maine's North Woods.

I'd love to hear your plans for the coming year.

its weird to say, but I finally dont have any trips (big trips) planned this year. I got a new job, a good one, and I have to see where that takes me.

The only for sure plan is Winterfest OH-Eleven or whatever named they settled on haha.

Maybe I'll get back out to Washington and visit my sis now that she lives out there.

I wish I could get up to Maine or back to Glacier National Park.

Last year when I did a trip on the West Desert we found a couple of places that we wanted to go. Super remote canyons that were south of the main road but we didn't have the fuel or time to go explore. I plan on going back there.

I also have a major trip planned to the San Juans in Colorado again.

Thinking about SE Utah and the San Juans. Maybe somewhere different in Colorado. We are also kicking around a trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Escalante. We can only go when school is out so it will depend on how hot it is this coming summer.

Three weeks in Kona after Winterfest. In '08 we did the Mauna Kea access road, a 32 mile almost-loop around Mauna Kea between 7000-9000' altitudes. I had it confused with another shorter trail in the area, so we didn't allow enough time to really enjoy the whole trail. This time we'll get started at dawn. Some of the scenery there is truly otherworldly.

There are more 4wd trails at the south end of the island that we want to check out also.

In October we plan to celebrate my 50th b-day in or around Moab.

Hopefully make it to another chapter's event, not looking to good for that though.

Perfect world?

Winterfest Uh-leven
Cherokee Crawl
Fall Flog
At least 2 Jeep Jamborees
As many local wheeling excursions as possible

Also...plans for the Jeep...finish tweeking the HPD30/8.8 swap I did, get new tie rod on, and maybe 32" MTs

Trying to finish my Offroad Teardrop this winter. Hope to do the loop around Salt Lake and the Pony Express trail across Utah as well as White Rim Trail Moab.

Trying to finish my Offroad Teardrop this winter. Hope to do the loop around Salt Lake and the Pony Express trail across Utah as well as White Rim Trail Moab.

Tom, we are planning a trip on the West Desert around spring time. We won't exactly be on the PET but will be running in the same general direction. If you want someone to show you around out that way, drop me a line.

I went to Ireland and Alaska during 2010. I think I'm only gonna make it to FL this year, but we'll see. The less places I go, the more $ I have for my Jeep. Plus, I should be saving my vacation time.

Tom, we are planning a trip on the West Desert around spring time. We won't exactly be on the PET but will be running in the same general direction. If you want someone to show you around out that way, drop me a line.

Sounds like a plan. I'm thinking of trying White Rim Trail soon, as in before Christmas or in January. Any info or suggestions?

Sounds like a plan. I'm thinking of trying White Rim Trail soon, as in before Christmas or in January. Any info or suggestions?

I can't find it now because I'm on my phone but WRT is pretty much closed until further notice. The Mineral bottom side was washed out so you can't complete the loop. It isn't supposed to get fixed till mid-2011 sometime.

Last i read permits were not being issued for the remainder of the year.

That could have changed by now, but as Doc mentioned you'll need to backtrace out.

Looking at a spring trip to the San Juan’s and the Abajos for some wheeling and a pack trip. At least one trip to the ghost town of Kerwin west of Meeteetse, WY. Also going to do a scouting trip into the Ferris Mountains in central Wyoming. Beyond that, hunting here and hunting in Alaska, and then more hunting anywhere I can.

Plans for 2011?
  • Building the new rig
  • flying to Kiev for one week, including a visit to the Chernobyl area for taking photos - inspired by http://reactor4.be/
  • the usual wheeling trip to the alps with the guys in september
  • a week or two with the missus in France or Spain, doing exactly NOTHING
Plans may change due to $$$ - we´ll see...

This economy is killing me, i dont know if i'll be able to attempt a trip west this year, might have to settle for local trips with maybe a trip to Maine's North Woods.

I am hoping to make the Fall fling next year but if not I'm flying to CO to see friends, I will get with some CO guys and wheel i hope. I am also flying out to montana for a sharops rifle shoot. Wish I could afford to just load up the Jeep and go out west but I just can't afford that!

If you do a trip to Maine, let me know. At the very least, drop by (I'm only a few miles from where i84 and i90 cross) and I may have time to go too.

Ideally -
WF '11 (might not be able to wheel, if things continue as they are, I'll end up driving the MJ out loaded with spare parts and either ride shotgun with someone or amuse myself with the stockers)
NACFest '11 - don't care if I have to walk there, I will make it
Rocktoberfest '11 - likewise

I'm frantically fixing my house right now, which cuts into the roadtrip budget pretty badly.

Back