• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 AW4 into a '96?

gdmaddo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 xj w/AW4 trans that is showing signs on slippage on cold mornings. My mechanic has a '98 AW4 salvaged from an xj rollover, What sort of issues will I run into on a swap?

There will be some electrical compatibility issues, mainly with vss signals - iirc. Also requires some wire splicing in the harness, I think. It's been a while since I looked into this, but I had a diagram of a simple circuit board to convert the vss signal from a 98 to one a 96 can use that another member had designed, I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

It can be done with a little work, but is not plug and play.

91-97 will bolt in, you may have to splice a few wires on a 97 unit. 98 will require either sensor and tailhousing swaps or the custom electronics described in that thread.

Somewhere around here, Frank Z has a thread where he describes how to change the output speed sensor and tailhousing on a 98-01 AW4 to work with a 97-down XJ.

Back