• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head replaced, started sounds weird...

spitfyre

NAXJA Forum User
so my jeep overheated, bad, ended up blowing the head gasket, i had the head milled, new gaskets, everywhere, finally got it going. It starts up and runs mint, idles smooth, revs freely, i havent taken it for a drive yet but when i start it, while the starter is still cranking it has this strange sound like the starter isnt even engaging or theres air leaking somewhere. any ideas?
its a 99 4.0l 2dr sport automatic.

By your description, I can't tell what might be going on.

You mention that it sounds like the stater isn't engaging, but it sounds like the engine is starting? There is no air around your starter, it is all electrical and mechanical.

If you have noise from a particular component, it is time to pull that component.

its hard to describe, yes the starter engages and the jeep fires right up, but the sound is like an electric motor spinning freely. i know theres no air around the starter, i was implying it sounds like the head gasket is still shot, again the jeep runs perfect, i took it for a little test run today and it runs great all around town and along the highway.

Could be the starter's solenoid bendix is a little wacko, try having someone else start it while you listen for the sound under the hood by the starter.

I've seen similar problems where the starter Bendix does not release. Sonner or later if that is the case, the starter will fragment.

You could pull the starter-solenoid and clean it up, see if that makes a difference.

If you decide to replace the starter-solenoid, you DON'T have to buy the UBER expensive late model starter, you can buy the reasonable priced earlier starter and just change the ends of the wires to attach.

Back