• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle swap

brendan combs

NAXJA Forum User
so im looking for ideas on what to swap in place of my dana 30 in the front. im doing a ford 8.8 in the rear. i dont really wanna trim an axle down if i dont have to... and id like to keep my 5 by 4.5 lug pattern... soo any ideas?

Any details on this swap idea ? Why do you think you need a new front axle ? Why are you limiting yourself to 5 on 4.5 ? How much lift ? What size tires ? What gears ? What terrain/trails are you building for ?

building for rocks i have 34" swampers on 4.5 " lift i want the 5 by 4.5 lug cuz thats what my 8.8 has so i dont wanna run 2 different rims and i dont mind buying new gears for the axles but the 8.8 has 4.11 and i need a new front axle cuz im running a big tire and its making go though wheel bearings fast and with the trails im wheeling im surprised i havent broken an axle shaft

Buy Timken bearings brand new, and you won't go through them so fast. And if you are, you're over (or under) torquing them. A D30 should stand up to 34" swampers no problem. If you EVER plan on going bigger than those, then invest in a bigger axle.

Dana 44 front would compliement your 8.8 nicely. Just takes a bit of fab work, search and you'll find alot.

For 34's I would personally upgrade your existing Dana 30. High quality bearings, shafts, and gears. Also, throw a truss on it and call it done. A different front axle that is the same width and that has the same wheel pattern would most likely need to be a custom axle assembly.

if you really want 5 on 4.5" front you are limited to a dana30 or rubi44, which is just a 44 centersection on a dana30.

i suppose you get a front44 from a half ton dodge ram and run spacers. but that is a WIDE low pinion, vacuum disconnect piece of crap.

a true dana44 can't physically fit a 4.5" bolt circle over the hubs

Back when i was new to the site, I had decided I needed a D60 front, so I wouldnt be "that guy"

Flash forward to today, the turd has been polished to a mirror shine.

Just sayin'

^ what they said. Time to polish the turd.

X2

You're asking too much. There isn't an axle out there (other than another D30) that is the same width and 5x4.5 lug pattern. Dana 30's can handle 35's locked all day if you do the right upgrades. EX truss, good full carrier locker, and a good diff cover. There is even the super 30 kit out there that would really make it bullet proof with 30 spline axles and an ARB.

Other than that, there's the wagoneer front 44, but wrong lugs pattern. And it will be about an inch too wide overall.

ive been lookin around for kits to beef up the dana 30 thru quadratec.com do u know any other good sites for a kinda cheap upgrade for it?

Can you weld? Or know someone who does? Truss It!

Keep an eye out for some 297 shafts, and throw new 760's in them

Ruffstuff cover

Then its time for the real money stuff

i suppose you get a front44 from a half ton dodge ram and run spacers. but that is a WIDE low pinion, vacuum disconnect piece of crap.

They're 5x5.5" (At least the 80s versions are). 70s versions are 5x4.5" and used some weird ass unit bearing.

80s have factory flat tops as well. No need to mix match ford/chevy parts.

They're 5x5.5" (At least the 80s versions are). 70s versions are 5x4.5" and used some weird ass unit bearing.

80s have factory flat tops as well. No need to mix match ford/chevy parts.

im talkin 90's (not sure of the year break) and with no locking hub and a pos unit bearing you can run wheel adapters to get the 4.5"

94 started the new crap.

Dodge used vacuum disco back through the 80s as well...wasn't sure which one you were talkin bout.

Buff chix time?

94 started the new crap.

Dodge used vacuum disco back through the 80s as well...wasn't sure which one you were talkin bout.

Buff chix time?

idk, what im talkin about might be 6 lug now that i think of it. either way you dont want a dodge44 under your xj

i need to pick up leaf spring stuff from anthony soonish too. so purhaphs

IMAGE55.JPG

Back