• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint strap question

dgwelsh

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry I suck at searching.

Changed out the axles on my 94. I believe the current rear axle is a Dana35. I can't find the correct rear axle u joint straps. The old bolts were 1/4" x something. The new ones are 5/16" x 18. I am sure of the new ones. The old u joint seats properly. I am at a lose and the local jeep dealer...well there weren't overly helpful.

thanks
Duncan

Any bolts that fit in the holes will work. Try your local hardware store. Get grade 5 or better and use some thread locker.

I am not trying to sound like one of the know it alls, but I would not recommend drilling out the holes which were once for straps and use u-bolts. If you compare how thin the material is between the hole and the edge of the yoke to a yoke that was designed to use u-bolts you will see what I am talking about, it is very thin.

If you have access to a local junkyard, pull a u-bolt yoke off of an early ford 44, a waggy 44, or any other 44 with a u-bolt yoke and a 1310 u-joint (the 44 yoke will bolt up to a D-30 and D-35). If you have any questions about the swap PM me.

Parker

you can but technically then you need to tear down and reset pinion depth and all.

Are you 100% about reseting pinion depth. They claim installation in under 1 hr, though I have never reset pinion depth it doesn't sound like something that happens in that time frame.
thanks again
dgwelsh

Unless the rearend uses a crush sleeve you should be able to simply tighten the NEW (never reuse a pinion nut) pinion nut till you have the proper pinion preload and gear pattern. People try and get away with just counting turns on the nut and marking where it started but that's inexact at best.

Only the LP D30 and the C8.25 use crush sleeves,so theres no need to do anything other than install the seal and the yoke and torque to spec.

Back