• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plow on a lifted xj

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am looking to mount a plow on my xj. I am only going to be doing 3 driveways (2 25ft 1 200ft) that otherwise I would have to shovel every storm so it's not going to be working hard. I'm currently sitting at 6.5 and the only bit I found searching was this picture (which was linked to another forum):
fisherplow001medium1wz.jpg

So my question is how would you go about mounting this? what locations? Do most of yas tie it into the bumper mounts or are there other points? I have a free plow off an old wrangler and metal to use for a frame. I also plan to use my front hitch mount winch to lift the plow (like I said jeep won't be worked hard). I am only really concerned about angles and where to attach it. Thanks for any help/input.
my xj:
currentxj.jpg

Hello All:
Snowsport makes a plow (40362) that fits into a front receiver hitch
look it up and see if you can do something like it. I have sold many
of these and the customers all have good thing to say about it.
Hope this helps...
SIXER

set the plow flat and pull your jeep up to where it would mount and measure/extend the mounting ears to fit

I'm confused. Jeep + snow = fun. Just drive up and down those driveways!

Plow, we don't need no plow, we don't have to show you no stinkin' plow!

I have no experience whatsoever plowing, but I would probably do some front unibody reinforcement first. The way I see it is that way you can do some light plowing, and still have a stiffer uniframe when you go wheeling.

Anyone know what type of tire is on that first jeep with the yellow plow?

Bias Claws?

I'm confused. Jeep + snow = fun. Just drive up and down those driveways!

Plow, we don't need no plow, we don't have to show you no stinkin' plow!

if it were my driveway I would agree 100% but women are crazy and it seams as soon as some snow flies the driveway at my Mom's and grandmothers house MUST be shoveled ASAP or the world will end :?

hmmmm...

I'm gonna be doing this on a stock height rig shortly.

Either that, or using the ramp out of my back yard as an excuse to buy a winch!

My plan is to build brackets that go as far back as I can find mounting holes on the unibody rails and add tie-ins to the sway bar mount points and possibly stock skid mount points, which are a bit behind the sway bar mount points.

My buddy Chris (Alwaysready) has a plow on with XJ with a RE 3.5 lift. PM him he might have pics.

BTW I did use his setup for sometime last winter while he was out of town, plowed fine with 33's and I did not hear any unsettling cracking or creeking of the unibody whatsoever.

Sam
:cheers:

well my thoughts atm are maybe I can use my bumper along with sway bar mounts (mine isn't there) and maybe a few more spots along the uni-body to attach to.

yeah, your bumper looks good and solid. The D-ring mounts should make pretty good attachment points for the frame, add a few at the swaybar and stock front skid mount points and I think it'll be good.

All my welding gear is in Southbridge right now, weather's gonna be too lousy to work on the roof Sunday - I'm thinking I might set up a temporary jeep working area in my yard for welding purposes, but not sure how yet.

Sunday, really :(

Tonight I'm shoveling up shingles and old insulation and tossing it all on the porch (getting demo'd anyways, and it keeps it from freezing to the ground) and tomorrow I'm working on jeeps and the roof. Saturday working on the roof. Sunday hopefully building a temp work shelter/platform and getting some jeep work done (on mine and probably yours), we'll see how it goes.

My XJ that I put a plow on was a little on the light side in the rear. I usually loaded 4-5 40# bags of wood pellets to help it grab on the steep driveways,
I tied the brace for the plow frame into the front rails, It was ok, but always wanted to go further back on the rails.

I'm pretty much planning on just tossing my spare 4.0L and every random cement block I can find in my backyard in the bed :eyes:

maybe a couple scrap AW4s too.

I carry alot of tools with me (needed extra lift in the back to compensate) I think I should be fine but worst case I'll grab something heavy to throw in.

Back