• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater help!

russellUK

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1995 pre facelift 2.5td XJ without A/C and when the heater is set to hot it makes loads of blowing noise and a little HOT air comes out the dash and screen vents, and a little COLD air comes out on your feet!

i know a previous owner messed with the heater, had some of the dashborad out and did a really poor job. i know the real answer is to take the dash out but thats a right pain. i know they didnt put the screen vent part back in as when the radio is out you can see there's nothing there. they also left the vacum hoses disconected but i have put them back.

question 1. why does the air come out cold onto my feet? yet hot everywere else? i just want hot everywere and if i'm too hot i can open a window!

question 2. why does the fan make so much blowing noise? fan sounds like its running ok, not bearing noise, and why so little air coming out?

please help, i'm cold. sorry if these questions have been asked before and trust me i did search, nothing worse than a noob asking the same old questions

i thought about a blocked intake but i have no information on the heater, a diagram of the heater layout would help but i cant find one on the net

i was going to saw my arm and leg off to get a fsm but found one online! the pictures aren't great but they imply fresh or recirculated air enters the heater box, then is either supplied through the heater matrix OR diverted around it to supply cold air. this air then sits in a plenum behind the heater controls and then supplied to screen, vents or feet.

i've checked the vacum pipes are all conected and that the actuators operate correctly, but i still have a little problem! with the diverter plate set to HOT i get hot air on the screen (when set to demist), hot air out the vents (when set to vents) and cold air on my feet (when set to heat/feet)

my question now must be "is there a second diverter plate for air to my feet?" OR is there a second heater matrix for the feet thats not shown on the fsm?

Back