• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration in 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.

awdxtc

NAXJA Forum User
We go some snow yesterday and I put my 00 XJ in 4WD. Well it makes a grinding kind of a sound and vibrates. Could this be due to the fact that there is no slip yoke eliminator? It only seems to happen at like 15 mph and up. If I put it in 4wd and go up my driveway there is no problem.

specs of the Jeep? lift height? etc. it could just be a bad u joint.

Sorry..the jeep is lifted 6 inches on 31X10.5X15. It actually does it at 40 mph and up. The frequency of the vibration is very high...almost like. Gears grinding....maybe it is a u joint

Lifted with no accomodation for pinion angle? TC drop? Angle shims? SYE (like you said)?

Yeah, I'd say it has to do with the angle. You should alter (fix) your angles and then replace the u-joints, which are probably stressed already.

1280driveshaft_angles.jpg

Or possibly degree shims, though depending on how acute the angles are you'll require an SYE anyway. Running both is not a bad idea, either.

Since you have a 2000,you have a LP D30 and thats not helping things up front.At 6" of lift you are really pushing things on both ends.The front pinion angle can altered using adjustable controls arms for the rear you definately need to do a SYE kit,what transfer case do you have?Do you have drop brackets?

NP231 and no drop brackets, A friend told me to look into a drop crossmember so I wont lose ground clearance. Dont be to hard on me I bought it this way about a month or so ago.

1. NEVER use a transfer case drop (crossmember drop) with an XJ with the LP D30--you will end up with problems up front for sure.

2. When in doubt, see number 1.

The others have covered it, but here it comes again:

SYE in the rear, maybe some degree shims.

Adjustable control arms in the front--you will need to do some figuring as to UCA or LCA, and whether you want CA drop brackets, a**uming a short arm setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back