• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dimmer switch controling running lights

Spanaway Mudder

NAXJA Forum User
And not the dash lights.. When I replace dash light fuse, it blows with in a day or so and WONT shut off even when lights are off... Running lights were doing the same for a bit to, staying on till I disconnect batt or pull fuse.. Replace headlight switch... also, the 30amp fuse (metal) next to those two 25 amp fuses was getting hotter then hell... Didnt have any wiring problems till after I flopped it last april and once the rains hit....

Really frustrated...

Shooting from the hip I'd say short to power, which means you probably arent going to get a "here's your problem" type of answer. You can't really e-diagnose a short without voltage readings from problem circuits.

Start by inspecting the wires of the circuits that run off the fuses you mentioned. You said you fopped the jeep a while back. What/where was the damage? Find out if any of circuits connected to the fuse run near areas that were damaged.

Which dimmer switch are we talking about? The dash illumination or headlight high/low?

A DMM, wiring diagram, and time tracing wires may be in order.

As stated above, more info is needed- starting with the basics.

k..sorry... 91 4.0 Xj, 4door.. flopped it on the D.side A-pillar... Iam thinking that there is water leaking down onto the fuse panel.. I have just delt with it lately and been relying on my GPS for my MPH and not having dash lights... The Dimmer switch is still controlling my running lights....

Lost brake lights to..But made that work with some redneck ingenuity....

Last edited:
k..sorry... 91 4.0 Xj, 4door.. flopped it on the D.side A-pillar... Iam thinking that there is water leaking down onto the fuse panel.. I have just delt with it lately and been relying on my GPS for my MPH and not having dash lights... The Dimmer switch is still controlling my running lights....

Lost brake lights to..But made that work with some redneck ingenuity....

tail light circuit powers the dash circuit. If you're having problems with the running lights you'll have issues with the dash lights. Check for a dead short at the dash light fuse. Chances are you'll have one, and it's also shorting out the tail lights.

You've monkeyed with the brake light circuit and that may be why your dash lights don't turn off. What hot did you steal to make the brake lamps work and how did you alter the circuit?

this is why it's a good idea to repair what is damaged in an electrical harness, not make up new shit as you go along to "fix" the problem. It sounds as if you've got a lot going on, so I would say that issues in the fuse block are definitly possible. There are some jumpered circuits that happen at the fuse block, the dash lights being one of them. I'd pull it, inspect the back and look for nasty terminals that are possibly bridged by corrosion.

tail light circuit powers the dash circuit. If you're having problems with the running lights you'll have issues with the dash lights. Check for a dead short at the dash light fuse. Chances are you'll have one, and it's also shorting out the tail lights.

You've monkeyed with the brake light circuit and that may be why your dash lights don't turn off. What hot did you steal to make the brake lamps work and how did you alter the circuit? From the positive side of my "clock" fuse... Cut the positive wire at my brake lights and wired up a new wire that I ran from the fuse panel... removed the "brake" lights completely from the circuit...

this is why it's a good idea to repair what is damaged in an electrical harness, not make up new shit as you go along to "fix" the problem. It sounds as if you've got a lot going on, so I would say that issues in the fuse block are definitly possible. There are some jumpered circuits that happen at the fuse block, the dash lights being one of them. I'd pull it, inspect the back and look for nasty terminals that are possibly bridged by corrosion.

Trust me, Iam all about "FIXING" the problem instead of mickey mousing it... More or less a temp fix so I can still drive it... Thanks for the heads up and what to look for...:cheers:

Back