• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surging/hesitation when cold

apetastic

NAXJA Forum User
This morning, the jeep wouldn't start. I've had issues with my aftermarket fog lights, the power when attached to the terminal and seems to short out the battery so it won't start. So I removed the ring terminal; and it started up as normal.

I'm not sure its related but when I started it again and tried to drive it to make sure it was ok, it hesitated/bogged down like it was going to die when I accelerated but then recovered and was fine. Its only does it when its cold, and only in the first maybe 2 minutes of actual driving. Granted, yes if I let it warm up its fine but I'm afraid this is going to turn into a bigger problem that will slap me in the face while I'm broke which my jeep seems to love to do.

More permanent fixes will be done friday but any suggestions on things I should check/replace? I already plan on new battery terminals and battery possibly. (sorry for long post)

BASICS--year/engine/trans/etc.

1. Be sure tuneup hardware is fresh. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

2. Test your throttle position sensor. ADJUST it if yours is a 87-90.

3. Clean your throttle body and your idle air control

4. Get that battery out of there if it fails load test or if there is any question. Engine management system hates it when available battery voltage is low/marginal.

sorry, sorry.
1993 4.0 high output, its got some bald 30s on it.

Most of that I was planning on doing, I don't get paid till friday and I'm broke right now so I'm really limited to what I can do immediately.
Mostly, I've planned on checking the CPS, TPS, O2 sensor and at least checking the battery and replacing terminals. Also, I'm going to check my grounds. It just had an oil change and was seafoamed and was doing great until today.

Definitely check the TPS, and I would test the CTS--not the sender for the temp gauge in the head, the coolant temperature sensor that feeds data to the PCM, and the o2 sensor can cause similar issues--when was it changed last (about 80k miles on your style is maximum).

ha, I haven't the slightest clue. we bought the damned thing for $250 bucks and have maybe, including the selling price, $400 into the thing. But over the past week it destroyed a caliper and overheated. The other jeep has been getting new parts, I think its jealous.

Definitely check the TPS, and I would test the CTS--not the sender for the temp gauge in the head, the coolant temperature sensor that feeds data to the PCM, and the o2 sensor can cause similar issues--when was it changed last (about 80k miles on your style is maximum).

I would agree on checking the CTS.

Back