• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0 won't start

purduexj

NAXJA Forum User
I hate to start another thread about this, but I have done endless searching and haven't found a definite answer. I have spark, I have fuel and I can smell it coming out of the exhaust, the starter does crank. I thought it was the crankshaft position sensor, I tested the old one with an ohm meter, but I still have the same problem after I replaced it, and all of the gauges do work. Everything else suggests that it could be the camshaft position sensor, but when looking for the part all I find is a stator/switchplate. 1998 4.0 AW4

If you have spark it wasn't the crank sensor.

Give the symptoms when this started/what were you doing?

Any work done shortly before the problem?

Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge--s/b about 49 psi + - 5 psi.

Sorry I didn't go into much detail, I was in class. On start ups it would sometimes run rough until you give it gas, other than that it has ran fine since I've had it, for 2 years, except for twice when I was wheeling it it started running rough and died once, no problems since then until a couple weeks ago when it just died as I was driving it and wouldn't start again. I haven't touched anything on the engine for months, which is when I did a tune up, and everything is stock.

I would check for fuel pressure. It should be around 49 psi. Might get fuel, but not enough.

Also check compression. Should be around 150 psi, with no cylinders having a difference of 30 psi.

Try resetting the computer. How is your oil level? What about the coolant level? If its thrown out of loop It can run weird also.

It might be worth cleaning the injectors. Take them all out and let them sit overnight in injector CLEANER not lube. B12 Chem-tool and gumout is best for this, dont use the lucas, its a cylinder lubricant not a cleaner.

Check all connections on the throttle body. IAC, MAP, TPS come to mind.

Are there any vaccum leaks?

Maybe check the manifold gasket for leaks. Is the spark a faint orange, or bright blue?

Back