• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This past weekend I installed some Rubicon Express drop brackets alond with their flex arms (adjustable uppers fixed lowers) and when i went to check if everything was in working order i found out that my tie rid end is hitting my steering stabilizer mount and bolt at ride height, when i flex it out it his the mount just below the bolt, when i turn under flex it grids down to the passanger side until it go past the sway bar bracket.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

my Vehicle info:
1992 XJ with stock steering and 6 inches of lift on 35's

Here is a picture of the joint (in red) and the contact area (in green)

This is not my rig just a picture i pulled from the internet for visual aid

4ftzlx.jpg

Uppers adjusted too short?

Stock steering at 6in and 35's? Keep an eye on that steering. A close eye.

You sure? His uppers are adjustable, his lowers are fixed. Shortening the uppers would not help.
it would tilt the top of the axle back, alleviating the rubbing issue. its a bandaid for the problem. he needs new steering

Hmm, I was thinking lengthening the uppers a tad would rotate the steering bits that are hitting the other stuff away. I was thinking backwards, for a change. LOL. I sit corrected.

it would tilt the top of the axle back, alleviating the rubbing issue. its a bandaid for the problem. he needs new steering

you may have to use a drop pitman arm.but keep in mind if you use a drop pit man arm the trac bar upper mounting point will have to be lowered also.most aftermarket lifts recommend there dropped trac bar and pit man arm as they have encountered this.the trac bar and drag link from the pitman arm have to be parralle to each other prevent (death)wobble. excissive bump steer.

I didn't realize that he only had adjustable uppers, but he needs to take the shims out of the control arm mounts to move the lowers back about 1/2".

Pushing the axle forward means pushing the steering mounting point forward while leaving the pitman arm mounting point the same; so this makes the draglink have an angle back towards the rear of the vehicle thus closing the gap between where the draglink and the steering stablizer bolts.

Other solutions = get new steering (should consider this anyways at that hieght) or get rid of the steering stabilizer (Don't really need one, I haven't been running one for about 3 years.)

this is a very common problem with XJ's. like stated, your lowers are to long. they are meant for a lifted rig with the arms in the stock location.

Back