• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 to AW4 Swap

Medic22

NAXJA Forum User
First, before anyone suggests it, I've done plenty of searching regarding this topic. I've found plenty of info on a AW4 to AX15 swap, but such info isn't so readily available when you do it the other way around.

That said, I'm ready to swap my AX15 to an AW4. Exactly what parts are needed? So far, as I understand it, I will need:
The AW4
Transmission cooler w/ lines
TCU w/ Harness
ECU W/ Harness
Pressure plate

Anything else?

Has anyone put together a write-up?

TPS and possibly the throttle body it's mounted to. The auto TPS has an output for the TCU that the 5 spd doesn't have.

The input gear on your t-case may not be compatible with the auto, so you might want to pull a trans with t-case attached.

Make sure you've got the nutserts to move the trans x-member, and a new trans mount.

It would be helpful if you posted what year your heep was and what year the trans is coming from.

What are you doing with your AX-15?

I also have an ax-15 in my 99 and would rather have an auto. For me its a few things. My rig has 107000 miles and has been maintained very well, but it shifts very poorly. Gear changes are very notchy, and as a result very slow. Also the placement of the pedals is so bad that heal toe braking is not at all possible. Witch makes crawling very difficult. I'm having a hard time making up my mind because I have always loved stick shift and liked them off road especially, and then I bought a jeep. My tj was just as bad.

I pretty much suck.

I also have an ax-15 in my 99 and would rather have an auto. For me its a few things. My rig has 107000 miles and has been maintained very well, but it shifts very poorly. Gear changes are very notchy, and as a result very slow. Also the placement of the pedals is so bad that heal toe braking is not at all possible. Witch makes crawling very difficult. I'm having a hard time making up my mind because I have always loved stick shift and liked them off road especially, and then I bought a jeep. My tj was just as bad.

I pretty much suck.

Like I said, trade it to someone who wants it. I have been looking for a nice late model XJ with a stick for the better part of a year to no avail.

I think I can fix the problems i have with both the trans and pedals. That would make me much happier than an auto and it might help some others on here as well.

Why don't you just swap in an ax. They are all over the place in tjs

I pretty much suck.

I think I can fix the problems i have with both the trans and pedals. That would make me much happier than an auto and it might help some others on here as well.

Why don't you just swap in an ax. They are all over the place in tjs

I pretty much suck.

They seem to be few and far between in DFW. I found a 91 I was gonna buy for a toy but it tuned out to be a pile.

... what are you gonna do with the AX15 coming out? :eyes:

I will swap you an AW4 out of a 99, 150k miles, that I bought intending to swap into my MJ to make it 4wd. Fluid was bright red and clear when I got it, I put a remanufactured torque converter on it for peace of mind, new filter and gasket, new seals on input and output. Still haven't run the unit myself because I've been considering swapping to an AX15 instead, and hadn't found a donor yet.

I can also get you a TCU (or build you a custom shifter) and will walk you through the swap/install whether you are interested or not. Going AX15 to AW4 is much easier electronics-wise because your ECU does not know or care about the transmission at all, so you won't have CEL codes to worry about. You just have to wire the TCU to the NSS and TPS, the NSS reverse lights to the reverse lights, and the NSS P/N wiper terminals to the clutch safety switch, if present. Installing the unit itself is easy, get a 91-01 flexplate, yank the pilot bushing out of the crankshaft, bolt the flexplate up, bolt the tranny and transfer case up, bolt the flexplate to the torque converter, connect the cooler lines to whatever cooler you use, install the driveshafts and whatnot, and you are basically done.

So is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend wheelin rig? Heres what I can offer about shifting the AW4 without a TCM. Check out my Rail shifter and maybe a Rock floor shifter, full manual control of the trans with the Rail and then add a Rock floor shifter for simple forward to reverse shifting to get out of those tight spots. Check it all out here: http://www.radesignsproducts.com
E-mail or call, I can answer questions about this phase of the swap.
Thanks for looking,

Back