• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

football thing

You can get the softball sized one from a newer XJ. They're smaller and easier to relocate.

If you have cruise control you'll probably need the bigger one. The Renix with CC had a two chambered reservoir, one side for cruise, the other for heater and axle. If you don't have cruise, the softball should be fine. If you have a later model without cruise, the only thing it affects is the heater controls. If yours is an early model with axle disconnect, you will need at least some reservoir in action or you'll lose 4WD under low vacuum conditions (like just as you get to the critical crest of that snowy hill!). If you have cruise and don't like the options for mounting a big reservoir, you could mount two softballs separately, one for cruise and one for heater and axle.

He has a 1989, so he should likely stick with the "capsule" rather than the smaller "ball" as he may have the D30 CAD in his XJ.

I mounted my "capsule" upside down under the pressure bottle in my 90--drilled two holes and reused the bolts that had held it to the bumper.

If you have cruise control you'll probably need the bigger one. The Renix with CC had a two chambered reservoir, one side for cruise, the other for heater and axle. If you don't have cruise, the softball should be fine. If you have a later model without cruise, the only thing it affects is the heater controls. If yours is an early model with axle disconnect, you will need at least some reservoir in action or you'll lose 4WD under low vacuum conditions (like just as you get to the critical crest of that snowy hill!). If you have cruise and don't like the options for mounting a big reservoir, you could mount two softballs separately, one for cruise and one for heater and axle.

holy crap that should be a sticky. well explained.

I moved the one on my '98 XJ over to the other side in between my master cylinder, and air box when I put my new front OR-FAB bumper on. I do have the smaller baseball size one though.

I put a softball in my 92 MJ, and the cruise control works great.

i do have a dana 30 in the front and would that explain why my heater doesnt work???

Could be maybe sort of?

IF you have the NP231 transfer case--2WD/4HI/N/4LO (no full-time option) then your XJ would have come stock with the D30 CAD vacuum disconnect axle.

Symptoms of low vacuum: intermittent 4x4 operation (D30 CAD axle); intermittent cruise or no cruise; heat shifts to defroster vents when the engine is under load.

then i would have the vacuum disconnect axel.. and i always have air flowing threw the vents even when nothing is turned on...and idk if i have cruise control or not

Back