• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would this create bad steering issues?

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am running stock D30 knuckles, and going to be putting on my new steering soon. the pass side knuckle will have tie-rod on bottom and drag link on top.

heres the question

do i have to run the tie rod on the bottom like the passenger side? or can i put that end of the tie rod on TOP of the knuckle? would that create steering issues or would that be ok? reason i ask is it would create a little bit of extra clearance on the tie rod. and any extra space would be nice....

thanks

your stock knuckles are tapered to fit the tierod from the bottom you cant flip it unless you drill it out and are using heims or you can get tapered inserts that you can weld in after you drill out the original hole to flip the tierod OTK

i am running heims. so knuckles will be drilled. an i am running misalignment spacers.

i do not want the tie rod AND drag link OTK on the pass side, i just want to get the driver side OTK and leave pass side of tie rod UDK if i can do it withought creating issues

That is what I did for a bit, but eventually just ran it under on the driver's side too. I used the ballistic fab 3/4 steering kit, and the tie rod is so beefy that I can almost guarantee that it wound not bend.

Just FYI: you will need a new trackbar set up because your angles will be off, you will need to cut off your swaybar links and trim your coil buckets, and depending on the size of your tie rod you may contact the diff cover when the tires are locked to one side of the other.

Not the best pic but:
GetAttachment3-1.jpg

ya the steering is 1-1/2" .250 wall DOM with 3/4-5/8 heims

ive run it before an hacked off the sway bar links and barely hit diff at full lock, so it was alright
im looking into a bracket for the over the axle trac bar but havent found what im looking for yet.(not much time between 50+ hours a week at work and full time student)

last time i ran this same steering UTK on driver side without any issue (aside from OTA trac bar mount that caused some steering funnies) but was considering the option of mounting it on top for that lil extra bit oc clearance

ya you can bend a lot of things if ya try hard enough. but after watching the video of you guys and some of your pics, we drive two completely different styles lol.....

its not like it is difficult to sway from over to under, i was just curious if anyone had tried and found it to be a bad idea or waste of time. :dunno:

that's how i run mine and it doesnt cause any problems.

i do get a bit of bump steer, because I haven't raised my axle side trac bar mount.

Another option would be to run the draglink UTK, and the tie rod OTK. The tie rod has to have a slight bend in it to clear the draglink on the pass side, but you don't have to relocate the sway bar, and there is MUCH less chance of bumpsteer as well. Take a look at the Rock Krawler steering... they do this with high mis-alignment spacers.

I have the rock krawler steering, and personaly I hate it. It used to bind on full lock and it limited my flex like crazy. I actuly ended up triming the drag link and fliping it back on top of the knuckle on pass side.
It looks really beefy. But its just not worth the trouble.
I know other people who have it without the problems I had, but personaly I would not in any way recomend it.

i dont see why it would matter. i say go ahead and give it a try. sounds like you have some fab ability so you could weld a tab onto the knuckle and make the passenger side double sheer and run both the tie rod and draglink OTK. just food for thought.

The problem with running both OTK is that you putting a lot of stress on one both, even if it is 5/8 grade 8 it is very possible for you to snap it. To go OTK on both you would need to make it double sheer. A company makes a bracket, but I can't remember who.

Back