• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Direct fit engine swap question

CptnXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I search but didnt quite find what I was looking for answer wise.

I have a 1997 Cherokee with the 4.0 HO. The motor is blown so I am looking for a replacement motor.

I saw this ad on Ebaymotors, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa6899b82

Its a 4.0 Out of a 1993 Cherokee. I know that with OBDII that were in 96 and newer models the wiring changed. So I just wanted to know if the motor would be a direct swap over to my 97. The picture on the ebay auction seems to show the motor with the fan blade more the to left than where the fan is on my current motor.

Any input would be greatly wanted.

Thanks,
CptnXJ

It is illegal to swap in an older model motor in many states. But if the intake and exhaust ports line up and you keep your intake and exhaust, there is little reason it wouldn't work just as well as the newer model.

At some point the position of the intake and exhaust ports moved slightly. My feeble memory tells me it happened around 91, but maybe someone with a better memory can chime in.

Use the short block and install any needed engine sensors, manifolds, or accessories from the 97 engine.

Use the short block and install any needed engine sensors, manifolds, or accessories from the 97 engine.
X2 i swappped a 93 motor into my 98, divrplates are the same but all sensors need to be swapped aswel as the distributor, i dont see how the swap would be illegal as internally the motors are basicly the same, call up jasper and tell them you need a 1998 motor im sure thed get a kick out of it

Back