• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 XJ Carb rebuild

00DCJeep

NAXJA Forum User
My carb needs rebuilt. Its a 1985 XJ 4.0 2.5L carb # 7706 S Any body no what kits are good and ones to stay away from? Or id be willing to drop some $$ on a already rebuilt one.

J.

Rebuild it yourself. Any kit should be fine. Be especially careful to not strip out the bolts that go up from the throttle base plate into the main body. If they were loose for any period of time the threads might be kinda crappy.

Your vehicle has a Carter YFA carb. The most common problem with them is the automatic choke. It is run electrically and there is a single hot wire that goes to the heater in the choke. The problem usually lies in the little tang that comes out the side of the plastic heater housing. It has to make good connection with the large triangular bracket use to hole the plastic to the metal mount. The tend to corrode, then you end up driving around with the choke on, causing poor power, crappy mileage and if you pull the plugs, they will be black.

I have rebuilt several of those carbs but they are a combo of mechanical and electricly controlled jet. The adjustment on the Solevac is a royal pain. Being an electrical type, I snagged a 5 speed from an 86 that had the mounting for the CPS, then swapped over the complete intake manifold, wiring, and fuel pump. It made a ton of difference in power, starting in cold weather, and gas mileage. It is not a trivial job, but the results are worth the effort if you are going to keep the vehicle and you are mechanically/electrically inclined. If you do the swap, don't try to patch the harnesses together like I did, get the whole hardess including the dash. It will make the swap over about 10 times easier.

I plan on taking the electric choke out and installing a manual one. Im gona buy a brand new carb when i get some $$$ rolling in again.

J.

A new carb is pricey. Weber also makes a carb but it may not pass your emissions requirement.

Before you do anything, run a can of BG44K through the gas. It will clean the jets and carbon. Don't accept any substitutes. It runs around $22 a can.

A new carb is pricey. Weber also makes a carb but it may not pass your emissions requirement.

Before you do anything, run a can of BG44K through the gas. It will clean the jets and carbon. Don't accept any substitutes. It runs around $22 a can.

would this BG44k be a good thing to run through a carbed Grand Wagoneer?

i need a brake down of the 7706 carb. i took it apart to clean it and i went to turn it up side down and a steel bb fell out along with a brass looking pice. its 1/2 long by 1/8 square ( i think). I put it back together like i thought it feel out and now im not getting enuff fuel and it wont start. Help ASAP!!

J.

i need a brake down of the 7706 carb. i took it apart to clean it and i went to turn it up side down and a steel bb fell out along with a brass looking pice. its 1/2 long by 1/8 square ( i think). I put it back together like i thought it feel out and now im not getting enuff fuel and it wont start. Help ASAP!!

J.

Buy a rebuild kit,it will come with an exploded veiw diagram!

Back