• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 Speed Clutch Issue

Medic22

NAXJA Forum User
Ive owned my cherokee for about a year and a half now. It's a l6 4.0, 5 speed. 181,xxx miles. Since my first drive, the clutch pedal has been extremely stiff. I've kind of written it off as "just a jeep thing", until I sat into an 02 TJ and pushed the clutch pedal - It was light as a feather.

That got my suspicions rolling, but not before my master/slave cylinder assumingly went bad, causing serious grinding into all gears- all the time. A trip to napa later, the new sealed unit is in. The first drive proves well, but not after the car warms up and has been running for a little while. Once it gets to that point, it grinds into most gears - even while double clutching. From a standstill, depressing the clutch ALL the way, waiting several seconds, and moving it into first, will cause it to grind and drop into first.

The clutch is still extremely stiff. I want to write this off as needing a new clutch, but the symptoms don't line up -- ideas?

Back