• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One trac bar, many problems

Hexfactor

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 steering has been driving me nuts. So touchy at hwy speeds that keeping it between the lines required full attention. When i would turn the front wheels on concrete, the front end would "hop" every 2 feet or so. Got to measuring some front end dimensions and found out the front axle was out of line to the right side about 1 1/2 inches!
One trip to the store to pick up a pickle fork, a few turns on the end, and the axle was golden!
The previous owner installed an adjustable trac bar, re-drilled axle mount, but it was still off. i removed the lock ring, screwed it in the rest of the way, and it lined up perfect. lets just hope that lock ring is not too important!
I went a full year thinking i needed new ball joints all around, and it was that trac-bar. lesson learned....measure stuff.
:eeks1:celebrates:eeks1:

lock ring?

JAM nut, you NEED THAT!

you using the new, re-drilled hole? if so, go back to the stock hole, you might be able to fit the jam nut in.

re-drilling is for cheap people, who dont want to buy an adjustable trackbar, you have that technology!

yeah, if you're running without the lock nut then the threads are turning on each other as your suspension moves. Eventually the threads will wear out and poof, the two ends of the trackbar will be disconnected and your front axle may decide to move the opposite way that the jeep does.

It was in the farthest hole and still pushing the axle to far right. i think he bought the wrong size for the lift. as for the threads spinning, they are not. it is completely tightened into the trac bar. there is no spinning or moving it without a pair of beefy pliers. When i get it lifted to 6.5 like i want it, i can re-install the jam nut.
your front axle may decide to move the opposite way that the jeep does.
After i removed the trac bar, i moved the steering wheel to adjust the tires and what the jeep did in comparison to the axle was just spooky! I'll keep a very close eye on it until i get it sorted out.

Back