• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring replacement recos

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.5" RE lift kit and I installed TNT UBEs in addition to relocated my shackle box to the proper angle. Well, after running it this way for about 1.5 years (and they were already about 5 years old to begin with) the rear leafs springs need to be swapped for new.

I was planning on going with to RE 5.5" rear leafs. However, I also like DPG offroad tailgunners. Does anyone have any suggestions on specific brands and the reason for the recommendation? I will need leaf springs that are similar to the eye to eye dimension of the RE 5.5s due to my setup.

TIA
Morgan

If you don't mind the high rates of RE leaf packs, stick with them - I'm finally happy with my 3.5" packs now that they've broken in a tad (thanks to a few weeks of abuse with 400 lbs of concrete in the back, and now a Detours Slimline to add some permanent weight)...

If you want something softer, Old Man Emu and Deaver are always very highly recommended by those who run them. Not sure if the height you want is available from either, or if they're within your budget, but I'll personally be looking into Deaver when it comes time to replace my RE packs.

Just have somebody build you a set. That way you can tell them everything you plan on having in the back. Then they can set the spring rate, arch, and eyelet length to what it should be.

Just have somebody build you a set. That way you can tell them everything you plan on having in the back. Then they can set the spring rate, arch, and eyelet length to what it should be.

Yeah, thats not really an option here in Chicago. Services here are rediculous. Most shops around here want $450-$500 bucks jsut to replace the rubber eyelet bushings in the leaf springs when I can buy another pair of new leafs for that. No problem installing the new leafs, I just dont have the 20 Ton press to get replacement bushings back in the RE springs plus they are alrady 6+ years old so might as well upgrade.

Here is a couple photos of my current setup...

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image003.jpg

image001.jpg

as you can see the springs, although have tons of droop capability, are pretty limited on uptravel and are almost flat at ride height due to using TNT UBEs and reloacting the shacle mount....these are RE 4.5" springs so I figure I need to upgrade to a 5.5" spring ?...and the fact that like memntioned, they want $450-$500 jsut to replace the rubbber bushings(WE ARE IN DIRE NEED TO BE REPLACED) in the front and back of both leafs (which is rediculous) and I can get a pair of brand new leafs packs with rubbers already in them for that or cheaper...

Last edited:
Not sure how feasable it would be for you in your area but, what about getting a set of stock XJ packs and building a bastard pack. When I did it using 2wd dakota leaves it gave me ~4.5" of lift, with quite a good arch and pretty stiff to haul around stuff in the back.

Yeah, they are a bit pricey for me although they seem to be the cream of the crop....

Back