• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FOG lights... just wont work

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So my fog lights quit working. I noticed there are two relays on mine... should i replace them both or what should I check first?

2000 xj, stock fog lights, 107,000 miles classic

Fuses, bulbs, switch, wires. Start with the simple and cheap, work your way back.

There is an unmarked fuse under the hood for 97-01 fog lamps.

The schematic is overly complicated. The relays just cut out your fogs when your high beams go on. The switch is the weak link as all the current from the factory fogs goes though it, and they eventually melt. The indicator on the switch is integrated, so if it doesn't go on, the switch may still be getting powered.

If the lights are good, check the fuse, then the switch.

It's the switch on the dash. Replace it with a new one.

Or, take the switch apart and stretch the little metal spring back out and clean the contacts all up. Mine was acting up and I cleaned up the switch and it has been working ever since.

The switch melts on the inside so no sense in buying a used switch that has just as much internal damage. Jeep doesn't sell just the switch new you have to buy the entire kit. At least with my 97.

Use an multimeter or test lamp. Check for current at the plug for the bulb. If good there, it is the bulbs. If no current, check at the switch. Current into the switch, no current out, means the switch is bad. Test the easiest stuff to get to first and work your way around until you find the failure. THEN replace the bad part.

Or, take the switch apart and stretch the little metal spring back out and clean the contacts all up. Mine was acting up and I cleaned up the switch and it has been working ever since.

The switch melts on the inside so no sense in buying a used switch that has just as much internal damage. Jeep doesn't sell just the switch new you have to buy the entire kit. At least with my 97.

You can, in fact, buy the OEM switch by itself, as well as replacements from several aftermarket brands. If you rewire the light circuit (bypassing the auto-off with the high beams, which means you need to kill them manually to stay legal on the street), you shouldn't burn up switches periodically.

Some quick searching yields the following part numbers for the TJ/XJ fog switch for 97+

5080861AA
Autozone SW 1935
Advance BWD S22030
NAPA ECH FL135
RockAuto Airtex/Wells 1S1808

SMP DS1082 (Standard's part may be discontinued, but it used to be available from RockAuto and Summit Racing among others).

You can buy the OEM switches from any Jeep parts retailer, as well as individuals and dealers on ebay (Towbin Dodge- the "King of Cars" folks, were the cheapest dealer on switches, at least for a while- they're also on ebay), and, you can buy simpler knockoffs, which come with a pigtail to simplify things if you don't mind the lack of OE symbols/illumination, like these...

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_fro...J+Wrangler+1997-2006+Accessory+Rocker+Switch+

And you can always take your chances with a used switch. Around here, I can't find TJs or 97+ XJs in the yards, and I've seen a lot of guys asking nearly as much for the switches they yank out of junkyards as the NIB OEM switches cost.

Last edited:
Jeepsareus have the TJ&XJ foglight switch for $38.55 if you can't locate them anywhere else.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/JWTJ/FLW.html

fogsw3.jpg

I tried all the local dealers and they showed me their computer, it showed no switch just the entire wiring assemble. I didn't want to get a parts house one either. Good to know they are out there though.

Still, I would look at the internals of the switch before spending 40 bucks on one.

so the light on the switch can still be on and it will be broke?

Also which fuse goes to the fog lights on a 2000 xj? someone said there was an unmarked fuse

Buy a $12 volts/ohms multimeter. Set it to test for 12 volts. Start at the fog lamp bulbs and test for 12 volts. If you have 12 volts at the bulbs, buy new bulbs. Move to the fog lamp relays and then to the switch, keep testing for 12 volts. Inspect the fuses in both fuse boxes by looking for a burned out one. When you run out of 12 volts, the source of your problem will be nearby. It ain't Rocket Science.

Back