• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing wiper strip on outside of window?

Ed Wulfe+

NAXJA Forum User
On the side windows there is is a rubber strip on the bottom of the window frame that "wipes" the outside of the glass as it raises or lowers. It appears that the door panel will have to be removed to replace this strip. Is this true? Are there any tricks to replacing this trip? Thanks for your input.

What year are we talking about? The ones om my MJ just lift off once you're rolled the window all the way down. If you order up replacements, you'll see they just press on. TeamCherokee.com has them, but they are pricey.

Mine is a92 XJ. Do you know if mine go in the same way? Thanks,

lawsoncl,
Thanks for the tip on Teamcherokee. Sure as hell they have the parts for less than what I paid at the dealer. Oh well. What is the deal with the skinny windows on the passenger side that don't open? How are they replaced?
Thanks,

lawsoncl,
Thanks for the tip on Teamcherokee. Sure as hell they have the parts for less than what I paid at the dealer. Oh well. What is the deal with the skinny windows on the passenger side that don't open? How are they replaced?
Thanks,

Roll the window down, take the panel off the door, unbolt the track at the bottom, unbolt the window at the upper edge of the door frame. The wing window tilts to the rear of the jeep then slides up/out with the front track in tow. There may be another bolt or two that i forgot about but its straight forward, you will see them.

XJTRAILRIDER,
When you say "unbolt the track at the bottom" are you are talking about the track for the large window that goes up and down, or is there a track/frame for the small window?
Thanks,

The frame for the wing or vent window is also the track for the large window, it looks like a big number "4" when its out of the door. I tried to find my pics but no luck yet

1990JEEPXJ,
You are correct. I was talking about the fixed windows in the back doors. I guess it will make sense once I get things apart.

ehall,
Thanks for the link. The wipers that I purchased from the dealer appear to be the newer style one piece units. Again, I guess that I will figure it out when I get the door apart.

The rear fixed glass is kind of a pain to remove. You have to remove the upright, which is held in with a hidden screw on the top and a bolt in the bottom, then remove the two torx bolts to drop the shelf that holds the glass in place.

You do not need to remove the glass to remove the wipe/trim piece. The old-style pieces are held on with small clips (see top of pic) which are pinched onto the outside sheet metal. Just use a small putty knife/paint scraper and feel around for them under the trim, then smack the butt of the putty knife to push the clip off the door.

Door_Wipes_Compared_Inside.jpg

The new style pieces just press onto the metal

Back