• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Tool Box Build up

N2L 96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone! New to the forum, and this is my first XJ. I picked up this 1996 XJ off the original owner out here in Norfolk, VA. He didn't drive it much over the last 14 years so it only has 122k on it! Thing runs like a top, but the suspension has seen the worst of the east coast's roads, and weather, for the last few years with little to no TLC. Without (much) further ado here are the steps that took me from day one to now:

The Tool Box himself:
IMG_20101031_101219.jpg

Brake rotors were rusted, chipped in several places, and the brake pads were worn almost completely through:

Before -
IMG_20101030_184213.jpg

After -
IMG_20101030_164413.jpg

This was hit number one on my state inspection, so with that taken care of I took it back to try (again) to get my state inspection sticker. The tech at this shop told me that my suspension was toast, and that I might as well take it to a shop to be redone. I'm not a "take it to a shop" kind of guy so I got me one of these!

IMG_20101029_182350.jpg

I crawled under the jeep to survey the situation, and found that pretty much every single bushing was toasted, everything was factory original (down to the shocks & steering stabilizer). Here is some carnage from underneath:

IMG_20101031_163138.jpg

The track bar is already disconnected because someone had repaired it with the wrong size bolt, and it just slid right out when I pulled on it! I drove the thing 30 miles like that... Could've killed me!

Saggy saggy rear with negative arch leaf springs!
IMG_20101106_091310.jpg

That brought me to the tear out/install phase. Not too many pictures from this part of the build; It was A LOT of rusty bolts, and once they started coming loose I went straight through. Seems like any time I take a break I lose all my mojo.

Here it is after I finished the front. I managed to pull it off without disconnecting the control arms with the use of a coil compressor, but I really suggest for anyone who hasn't done this yet/before to do this the correct way. My brother actually lost a little bit of his fingertip to a coil compressor, and I very nearly did the same thing. In both cases the coil flexed in the middle causing one side to be shorter than the other, and the compressors moved away from resistance. Luckily, it was only my shoe that got slammed in between, but my toes were pretty sore. If you do take this same route use a piece of wood/spare tool/tipsy friend's hand to push the coil in place.

IMG_20101103_143759.jpg

Even though this was only a three inch you can really see that I had a considerable amount of sag with the old springs.

A cop ended up coming by to inform me its illegal to work on your car in the street in the state of Virginia (and then asked me if I knew the lift laws etc. turns out I knew them all, and he had to look them up online to see if I knew what I was talking about!) After I moved the jeep into the driveway, and started on the rear end. This was a MUCH bigger project than I had originally thought. Every single bolt in the rear ended up shearing off in the process of removing them, and while taking the last bolt out (front bolt for the leaf on the passenger side) I snapped my breaker bar's head off, broke the socket, and sheared the bolt head off all at the same time.

After 3 days of solid work, and one LONG evening/night I got it all wrapped up.
IMG_20101116_133651-1.jpg

Thats how it sits today. I have to install a few new parts that are on their way from Rusty's, and Quadratec. As far as the lift goes I have to say that the Rusty's lift isn't the best for road handling (all though overall handling from my stock suspension is a vast improvement), but as far as off road performance its not leaving me wanting much. I've ridden in jeeps with RC lifts, RE lifts, and home fab stuff, and this one is really making me happy. It was a totally complete kit, all I had to buy was new hardware, and it was by far the best pricing I could find for a 3" kit.

Since I have a long weekend coming up I'm going to install some new OEM rear shackles (old ones are rusted, and I actually peeled 1/8" of rust off of one as if they were made of cardboard). Also putting in some new front sway bar links; I'm making some quick disco pins for these myself. New bump stops are going in the rear since the old ones are just plain gone. Then, I'm putting in some bar pin eliminators in the rear; I hate bar pins. After all this I'm doing a rear brake job that I finally have time for. Once all the maintenance is over with I'm going on to the fun stuff which I'm going to leave as a surprise for whoever actually scrolls through this rambling, long winded, gumbo of a thread.

Thanks. I'm starting to wish I had gone with a 31" or 32" tire though... Those 30's look really small to me. At least I don't have to cut the fenders yet now. The wheels will more than likely be getting painted black. What do you guys think of black on those rims? I kinda like the shiny look on the alloys, but I usually just avoid shiny like the plague. Everything shiny on the body is getting painted over so they really won't correspond to anything else on the jeep.

Anyone know where I can get some clear lenses for the turn signals? Not digging the amber.

welcome, looking good, seems like your jeep is on it's way!

i agree about 31"s, but thats hindsight, live and learn, call it a highway star.

personally, i HATED those 5-spoke alloys, theyre just a pain to work with.

oh, and for clear corners, check ebay (theyre good for stuff like that, i havent been able to find em anywhere else)

for getting coils in and out, you allmost never have to disconnect the control arms, common practice is to disconnect shocks, steering, and tracbar. i prefer to stay away from coil compressors, never had an accident, but why bother if you dont need to? know what i mean?

i think i like where this thread is going!

Last edited:
a rare phenomenon...

i lived in norfolk for the first 20 years of my life. my '97 XJ spent the first 12 years of its life there as well. i can tell you that it was not Va that did your cherokee like that, and my mileage is 30k more. unfortunately we are both about to spend our second MW winter together. glad its all buttoned up though. id say keep the wheels for DD duties and pick up some swampers off of craigslist for wheeling. you cant go wrong. what are the specs? motor, tranny, rear end, T-case, etc...?

where are you in norfolk? the neighborhood looks extremely familiar.

welcome, looking good, seems like your jeep is on it's way!

i agree about 31"s, but thats hindsight, live and learn, call it a highway star.

personally, i HATED those 5-spoke alloys, theyre just a pain to work with.

oh, and for clear corners, check ebay (theyre good for stuff like that, i havent been able to find em anywhere else)

for getting coils in and out, you allmost never have to disconnect the control arms, common practice is to disconnect shocks, steering, and tracbar. i prefer to stay away from coil compressors, never had an accident, but why bother if you dont need to? know what i mean?

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I'm assuming you mean trying to finesse a lug nut in and out of those stupid tiny holes? I did it after finishing my lift at 4am (had to be to work at 5am), and thats when those things really started to make me mad. I went with the alloys because my stock steelies were too rusty to waste sanding them down and repainting them; there was a fair amount of pitting that I didn't like the look of all over the rims.

I'm normally skeptical about buying car parts on eBay, but I checked it out; picked these up for 35 bucks.

!B9L7JU!EWk~$(KGrHqF,!l0Ey+jC0j21BM5DdlwVtg~~0_12.JPG

a rare phenomenon...

i lived in norfolk for the first 20 years of my life. my '97 XJ spent the first 12 years of its life there as well. i can tell you that it was not Va that did your cherokee like that, and my mileage is 30k more. unfortunately we are both about to spend our second MW winter together. glad its all buttoned up though. id say keep the wheels for DD duties and pick up some swampers off of craigslist for wheeling. you cant go wrong. what are the specs? motor, tranny, rear end, T-case, etc...?

where are you in norfolk? the neighborhood looks extremely familiar.

This particular jeep grew up in Detroit, then at the age of six moved to New Hampshire, and after 2 years there came down here to VA to sit in Oceana at the AFB for most of her days. I'm thinking the rust is a little more Detroit than VA, but either way its like nothing I've ever seen back home in Oregon.

I'm personally at Norfolk NavSta, but the picture is in Va Beach.

Yo might want to loosen the control arm bolts then re torque them so the bushings aren't in a bind.

I'd never have thought of that! I'll add that to my to-do list for tomorrow. Thanks :D

x2, way familiar, I'm in Va beach right now and that looks like the neighborhood i used to party at right off granby.

Haha yeah I'm off of Independence and Va Beach Blvd. Its actually a friend of mine's place. I grew up with him, he joined 4 years ago, I joined this year; I live on base, and I was at his house when I realized that I was too scared to drive this thing back on base to do the lift.

Where did you get the Jeep five spoke alloys? They look pretty clean.

Craigslist. Dude had a set of 5 for 30 bucks, which was perfect since I wanted to mount a spare, but he had sold one so I got 4 for 20. Tires were 200 off Craig's list as well. Brand new Firestone Destination A/Ts which isn't exactly my style, but they were cheap and in great shape.

I'm going to just throw the new parts on tomorrow, and do a little bit of sanding. Friday-Sunday will be all about rust eradication. Anyone know if theres a scrap yard in Va Beach? I've got old rusty parts to toss out.

Last edited:
Didn't have time to get any pictures, but the sway bar links are in, rear shocks getting installed as soon as I get back to the jeep, new shackles in, bumpstops in, and paints halfway done ;)

Pictures as soon as I get to the jeep. I've got a hectic work schedule this week; we get underway soon. Its looking pretty darn good though.

Aaaaaaalright! Back from deployment! Just swapped out my radiator today. It blew out the day I picked the cherokee up :/

2011-07-25_14-53-03_655.jpg

All I have to figure out is the tranny cooler line. I've got to cut the clamp off that went bad, and replace it with a pair of hose clamps. I'm kind of shocked that the little plastic piece that I need didn't come with the radiator.

Welcome Back, looks like a nice looking platform you have to work with. I'll be watching this thread.

Hey hey!

Clamp removal stalled due to MASSIVE storm inbound. I went inside once a neighbor told me about the tornado warning.

I think I changed my mind about how I'm going to handle this anyway. The clamp on the end of this rubber line is slightly flanged to fit over a ring on the radiator's line. If I push this line on real hard it will be about 90% sealed and just trickle a few drops of atf. My concern is (obviously) that the hose will move/come off. My new plan is to JB weld the flange to the line off the radiator, rather than chop up my line and use hose clamps. Thoughts?

Much appreciated! Do you have to have it pressed on? Or can it be installed by hand? I know it was a real pai to remove...

Fixed some things over the weekend. Got rid of the sunburned paint with some primer. Sitting outside for 6 months put a little too much surface rust on the car for my liking. Next weekend I'm putting in new lower control arms! I did some little stuff to spruce it up. Rehad'd the headlights with some light sanding and clear coat, and trimmed em with flat black. The grill got a nice flat black treatment as well with some 99 cent spray paint that came out WAAY better than I expected. Good prep work does wonders.

2011-07-31_10-20-19_511.jpg

Thanks. I'm starting to wish I had gone with a 31" or 32" tire though... Those 30's look really small to me. At least I don't have to cut the fenders yet now. The wheels will more than likely be getting painted black. What do you guys think of black on those rims? I kinda like the shiny look on the alloys, but I usually just avoid shiny like the plague. Everything shiny on the body is getting painted over so they really won't correspond to anything else on the jeep.

Anyone know where I can get some clear lenses for the turn signals? Not digging the amber.

I have a 97XJ and an OME 3" lift. I had been running 30x9.5 and yesterday I put on 31's from a Rubicon with the Moab wheels. As for driving on the road, I have no rubbing even at full steering lock. I haven't had time to bring to a ramp to see if I need to work on bumpstops, but at least you should be able to run 31's if you want.

Also, I am interested in painting my old canyon wheel black. Please let me know how yours comes out, and what paint to use, etc. I would appreciate that.

Lastly, I have been under the impression that the wheel wells for the pre-97 were larger than 97+.

Jeff-97XJ

I'll get some pictures up soon of the wheels. I got some VHT epoxy paint from advance auto parts here in town, and it came out great. I went with satin over the gloss finish and I definitely recommend it.

Back