• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frusterated with steering issue

XJJunk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone who reads this. This is one of my first posts. Hopefully I get this right! I have a 2000 cherokee that follows the lines in the freeway or hit a bump or pot hole the steering wheel will be pointed straight, run over the lines or other stuff and the steering wheel shifts in either direction depending on the lines or other imperfections. It is really hard to keep it straight. It looks like I am drunk driving...here is what is frustrating...I have a 6.5" Rough Country long arm lift(about 6 months old) with a 1" spring spacer, and a brand new currie HD draglink and Tie rod(it didnt fix the prob), 35" Goodyear MTR's. I have brand new ball joints and have checked the steering box by removing the drag link and checking for play there...the track bar is TIGHT. I dont see any cracks in the frame around the steering box...WTF?!?!:smsoap:

Take a pic of your front end, show us your steering angles.

BTW, 7.5" is stupid high. You don't need 7.5" to fit 35's.

^this

If you use Photobucket, one of their "share" links is an

While you're working on getting those pics up....

This is a good setup. The trackbar and drag link are parallel to each other.

10026780.jpg

This is a bad setup. The trackbar and drag link are at different angles. This will cause crap like bump-steer.

trackbar001.jpg

if it is bumpsteer were looking at i can tell you that there is slight bumpsteer but this is not what the root of the problem is... otherwise please let me in on what your thinking

Funky steering angles can cause the rig to behave funny. I want to see your trackbar, drag link, and tie rod from straight on. If you stand in front of your jeep and take a picture of it all that'll be good, like the pics I posted but from the front center if possible. Somebody might see something wrong that could be causing your problems.

If your steering looks ok, then it could be an issue with your gear box. But one thing at a time.

sorry about the terrible pic...its dark raining and i used a cell phone camera with a flash light...LAME! I think you can get the idea hopefully.

Looks like bad angles in that pic... but it could just be the shape of your trackbar.
The optimal pic would be from further away, so we can see knuckle to knuckle.

Try and take a copy of this pic (copy the shot... do NOT copy what's in it lol):

100_1808.jpg

Back