• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Switch

buckaroo44

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to exchange a 4.0 engine from my '89 XJ with a 4.0 from a '92 XJ. I have been told that many changes were made from 89 to 92 and may have trouble getting things to hook back up. Is it poosible to make this exchange without to much trouble? Any input would be much appreciated.

Pretty simple swap. You have to use all the sensors off the '92, and I think you will have to use the flywheel off the '92 also.

Edit: not sure what year the switched the oil filter adapters, but if they're different between the vehicles, use the one off the '92.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to use the tranny out of the '92 as well. If all that lines up I should be good to go. Time to get wrenchin'

All sensors, distributor, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifolds. Be sure to use the Intake/exhaust gasket for your 89 motor. Basically strip your donor engine down to a long block and swap your stuff on. 92 oil filter adapter installed with new seals will give you a better selection of oil filters since the thread isn't metric. I've done the exact same swap. Post up if you hit a roadblock, but I don't suspect you will.

Back