• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought a used truck that wont pass smog...

BigMike80

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I need a little advice. After selling my XJ I bought a Ford Ranger from a private seller on 7/26/10. I've been in a fire academy and haven't had a chance to get it smogged or registerd and the tags expired in September. Today (11/22/10) I went to get it smogged and registered but it wont pass smog. The truck has only been driven on surface streets and highways to and from academy since I bought it (definitely hasn't been abused).

I know it's the sellers responsibility to have the vehicle smogged but has it been too long since the sale for me to have them take care of it? I would really like to hear from you guys about what you would do in my situation.

Thanks,
Mike

call the PO and see what they say, if they won't help you out call the DMV and ask them. I haven't been in the situation but that's where I would start.

**UPDATE**

The truck is fixed and passed smog. Apparently the computer got friend when some O2 sensor wire grouned out on the exhaust. And a lot of issues stemmed from that. In total its going to cost me $880.

I talked to the seller on the phone and he is only willing to pay for the smog certificate ($60). He said since it's been so long there's no way of knowing if the damages happened after I started driving the Jeep. I had the truck for 4 months before going to the smog place to find out about these problems.

Has it been too long for him to still be responsible for the repairs to make it pass smog?

I would say YES. Think about it, if you sold the vehicle and a guy came back 4 months later.....you wouldn't know what its been through either. Consider it a lesson learned and if you expect a seller to smog.....don't pay for vehicle until smog cert is in hand. Good luck with your Ranger!!! I love my Bronco!!

I would say YES. Think about it, if you sold the vehicle and a guy came back 4 months later.....you wouldn't know what its been through either. Consider it a lesson learned and if you expect a seller to smog.....don't pay for vehicle until smog cert is in hand. Good luck with your Ranger!!! I love my Bronco!!

Haha, great minds... :D

The problem is I dont have $900 to pay for this thing. I work as an EMT making $9/hr. I sold my Jeep to buy a cheap reliable truck and Im dumping more money into this damn thing than I did with my Jeep. I wish I would have never sold it.

what issues does it have that are going to cost 800+ dollars? could any of the repairs be made with junkyard parts?

If you are in need CA provides some assistance programs to help with the cost of smog related repairs, check out the Bureau of Automotive Repair's website, the information is on there. They can help with money to cover repairs or if your financial situation is bad enough they can cover most of the cost and you only pay a small part of it. Might be worth if for you to check out.

what issues does it have that are going to cost 800+ dollars? could any of the repairs be made with junkyard parts?

If you are in need CA provides some assistance programs to help with the cost of smog related repairs, check out the Bureau of Automotive Repair's website, the information is on there. They can help with money to cover repairs or if your financial situation is bad enough they can cover most of the cost and you only pay a small part of it. Might be worth if for you to check out.

Check into the state assistance plan that helps with smog repairs over $500. Its called consumer assistance program.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/03_BARPrograms/index.html

Lots of great minds on here today!!! :rof:

Back