• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-tubing 78 dana 44 from bronco??

zuk_freak

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a 78 bronco with d44 ford 9". I know this year has cast wedges for the radius arm setup.i wanna take out both side axle tubes and get new ones pressed in ( eliminating cast wedges) so i can weld on control arm mounts when i do the front d44 swap in my xj (leaving it fullsize width) How would i go about doing this?? Any help appreciated. P.S- i did search before posting and came up with nothin.

Re: Re-tubeing 78 danna 44 from bronco??

Have you ever thought about using the Ford radius arms and leaving the axle the way it is. I have run this setup for years and absolutely love it. It will save you a ton of money. Don't listen to anybody who hasn't run the setup. They will all say it won't work, but everybody I know who has actually run it, loves it. FarmerMatt, another longtime wheeler got me thinking about it because he ran them on his rig. Ford put them on about a million trucks, it can't all be bad.

I'm taking the week off and one of the things on my list is to take a bunch of pix of my setup and do a writeup. Every time I start to do it, life gets in the way.

How does re-tubing fix the problem?

Personally re-tubing a dana 44 is not worth my time. Build a 60 or something worth putting that much time and money into. I am running the extended ford arms as well, for simplicity purposes mostly, and it works fine.

Not trying to change your mind, just showing you options, here's a couple pics of my setup to give you an idea of what they're talking about. Mine drives great, flex's great.
0311002010.jpg

0514001659.jpg

Thanks for all the replys guys.i think i might look around all the auto wreckers to find a d44 housing with weld on wedges and put all the gears and such from mine in the empty housing.or maybe i will end up doing radius arms...dunno

Back