• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market dome light ?

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently chopped my XJ and in the process elliminated the center console. This is a 90 Limited. So it had the compass, temp, mileae, etc... I still have the plug / wire harness with power to it.

My question is can i hook up an aftermarket dome light to the wire harness, so that i can still use the headlight switch to turn it off/on ?

I tried useing a lightbulb circuit tester and switched the headlight knob off and on but couldn't figure which wire it was...

i am electricly challenged, so please keep this in mind :conceited

Am i going about this wrong ?

All you need is ground and 12 volts positive to run any bulb or lamp fixture. The unibody can be used as a ground, just find the positive wire.

Im trying to find the OEM wire to the factory light though. Shouldnt i be able to but my circuit tester in each of the wires on the plug and tthen turn the knob till it comes on ? I tried this and it never came on...

Thats why i am wondering if i did something wrong ?

Based on what I see in my 88 FSM, the switch connects the lights to ground, not power. So you should look for a black wire that show continuity when you rotate the switch.

So you'd need to find a wire with power regardless of key setting, if you want the dome to come on when the door's open or your turn the knob with the key off.

However, if you have the doors open, they'll ground through there.

so basically wire it to any of the hot leads in the plug and then figure out which ground turns it on when the knob is turned... correct ?

Yes. And it is usually the pink wire that is hot at all times.

Back