• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help So. Cal....

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Without going into detail.....

I ended up with 35 gallons of bad gasoline in my R.V. at Goatfest.

It's got water and rust in it....

I went to West Marine and got a funnel with a filter in it that seperates the water and other crap-olla from the gas.

I filtered some and put 3 gallons in my Jeep with a full tank and a bottle of STP.....

Needless to say, my Jeep has run like doggie-doo ever since. And the smell...... Woof!

I need to get rid of this gas ASAP!

LEGALLY!!

I tried Waste Management.... They will take it but it has to be in an "approved" container and I don't get the container back. And I can only bring 15 gallons at a time in 5 gallon containers.....

Any other ideas?... Like I said LEGALLY!

THIA.

I run the service dept of a dealership and have the oil disposal comp. take alot of fuel...yes they will take it but is about $355 for a 55 gal drum

Options

1. Put it in your mower, and do the block a favor.

2. Purchse a Colman lantern or BBQ

3. Weed abaitment

4. Pesticide

5. Stain remover

6. Parts cleaner

All legal.

I usually just leave it outside to evaporate, or run it in the lawnmower (when I used to have a lawn that is).

Xwhatever on evaping it. you could also try running it through a fuel/water separator like the diesel trucks run, the water will settle on the bottom of the filter and can be drained off. they also make a product called "heet" that is meant to remove water from gas and clear out frozen gas lines when the water freezes inside them. I believe it is nothing more than isopropyl alchohol, acetone may also work. it will help evaporate the water from the gas quicker if you do decide to use it in the jeep.

Water is heavier than gas, it will settle on the bottom if you put it in a big bucket. you can then drain the gas off the top of it. I have 3 5 gallon buckets of fouled gas sitting on the side of my garage evaporating right now.I just poked a few holes in the top of the lids and let them sit in the sun, put them out there just before goatfest and they are about half gone now.

.... you could also try running it through a fuel/water separator like the diesel trucks run...

Didn't read my first post?

Water is heavier than gas, it will settle on the bottom if you put it in a big bucket. you can then drain the gas off the top of it.

This is called "decanting"..... I really don't have a way to decant 35 gallons of gas.

And like JeeperJohn sez:
"...it is a violation of California law to knowingly allow gasoline to evaporate..."

Thanks Mike, et al..... So far the only viable solution is to beg for some empty 5 Gal containers at work that we use to store acid in.....

I'll have to repaint them and stencil "Flammable" and "Gasoline" on them. But Waste Management should take them then.

It's just going to be hard to get 7 of those cans from work. We usually recycle them.

(Sigh) And this is only step one in solving my dilema....:guitar:

Update this thread if you find an easy way to deal with it please. I've got about eight or ten gallons of very old gas in my old truck's auxiliary tank that I have to deal with.

Update this thread if you find an easy way to deal with it please. I've got about eight or ten gallons of very old gas in my old truck's auxiliary tank that I have to deal with.

Well so far this is all I've got. It's from the Orange County Waste & Recycling website:

Department of Transportation regulations allow you to carry a maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds in one trip. But you can make as many trips as you need.

Materials should be in original container, if not please label container as to contents.

Containers larger than 5 gallons will not be accepted.

Containers must be sturdy, non-leaking, and protected from damage.

Containers must have lids.

Containers used to transport used motor oil are not normally returned. If you wish to have your used oil container returned, advise the attendant ahead of time. No other containers may be returned to you.

Back