• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd AW4 Swap??? Help!

tragiccomic1972

NAXJA Forum User
Ok-- got back into the XJ game after a hiatus.... I bought a 94 with 135k miles on it, but has trans problems. I have a good 96 2WD trans thats been looking for a new home. Can I put the transfer case off the 94 on the good 96 2wd trans and roll on?? Any help on this would make my day...
Thanks

Technically yes, but you will have to swap output shafts on the transmissions. The 2wd output shaft is longer. Frankly, its not worth the headache and if you're comfortable swapping shafts, which requires tearing the transmission anyway, why not just completely rebuild the 4wd trans for the added peace of mind.

I'd say your best bet is either picking up a used 4wd aw4 or rebuilding the aw4 you already have?

You may also have some electronics compatibility issues. Iirc 96 was a changeover year for tcm design and vss's.

Last edited:
Technically yes, but you will have to swap output shafts on the transmissions. The 2wd output shaft is longer. Frankly, its not worth the headache and if you're comfortable swapping shafts, which requires tearing the transmission anyway, why not just completely rebuild the 4wd trans for the added peace of mind.

I'd say your best bet is either picking up a used 4wd aw4 or rebuilding the aw4 you already have?,..
X2. Swapping output shafts is involves a complete tear-down. Having a shop do it would cost the same as a re-build(Actually, that's what they would charge you for.)

Thanks-- the issue is there-- it will not pull in ANY gear... I bought it CHEAP with the knowledge that the trans was gone... but I was thinking it would be something simple. I need to go down the list of possibilties, but I have never hear of one that just QUIT... when I pulled the stick the fluid does smell a bit burnt, but not bad...
I am going to:
check the linkage
unplug the tranny comp and see if it goes to work
unplug the line fron the trans cooler and see if the pump in working
drop the pan and see if the filter is clogged

any more suggestions to check before I drop the whole trans?

Sounds like you have a plan. I piped up since we get a lot of people posting that they need a new transmission when it's a simple electrical issue. In your case, its probably mechanical.

A few other things I'd add.
- If not pumping check the torque converter-flexplate bolts, although I think that'd make plenty of noise.
- Transfer case good? If in park can you push the vehicle?

****UPDATE****
Changed the fluid, unplugged the trans computer... started her up... trans went right to work!!!... plugged the trans computer back in and she shift beautifully!!! weird... never seen a filter be so clogged that the trans just stopped pulled.... but now I have a new problem-- freaking misfire I cant track..... *sigh*

Awesome!

More info relating to souske's post:
AW4s:
Mechanical differences:
* 87-90 (may be partway through 90) are 21 spline
* 91-01 are 23 spline (may also include some late 90s)
* 87-97 have a single speed sensor mounting position on the output, no input speed sensor
* 98-01 have input and output speed sensors
* 87-90 are one overdrive gear ratio, 91-01 are another. I forget which is which but the ratios are .70 and .75.

Electrical:
* 87-90 all the same
* 91-96 all the same, may also be the same as 87-90 (at worst, the connector needs to be cut off and spliced)
* 97 has its own connector AFAIK (or is the 98-01 connector, but with only 1 speed sensor wired up) - these are exactly the same as 87-96 electrically but may require a connector cut and splice
* 98-01 have two sensors of a magnetic pickup type (instead of the reed switch type used 87-97)

swappology:
* 87-97 will work with minor mods and possibly a TV cable swap if you make sure to handle output shaft spline count changes (may also involve swapping the transfer case or its input gear, which may involve further swaps if you cross the 94/95 or 95/96 boundaries)
* 98-01 can be swapped into earlier with some custom electronics OR sensor swaps and wire splicing, but NOT vice versa without prohibitively large amounts of work

As stated... usually the AW4 has electrical issues (burnt solenoids, bad sensors, sometimes a bad TCU) well before it has mechanical issues. Often simply flushing the fluid and changing the pickup screen (it's really not a filter if you look at it carefully) will fix the problem, sounds like you got lucky.

Back