• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow chains

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
i need snow chains for work that fit on a 33 1250. Does anyone know where i can get a good deal on some decent chains? Also, since my mj is so light in the rear would it be a good idea tohave them in the front and drive in 4hi?

4wheelparts useually carries those sizes in stock if you are in a pinch. as for front or rear.....i prefer running them in the front if only running one set.

Try Napa.

I bought my chains at the Napa up in Mammoth during the summer. IIRC I paid around $120 for real chains, not cables.

up in Mammoth, you could probably get snow chains at 7/11, or Jims donut shop. but its definatly worth a shot. in areas it doesnt snow, finding snow chains for over sized tires isnt easy. thats why i mentioned 4wheelparts, or any of the "offroad" shops. thats were i had to go to find them for the F550 with 19.5" alcoas. i wanted to make sure they fit properly and didnt hit the wheel at all. and i didnt have time to cut/fix them.

I ended up just pick up a set at 4wp, they are pretty hd. I tried them out and they are easy to put on, a lot easier than people made them seem.

how much did they cost?

So, do you guys use chains on 4WD vehicle... or do you just have them in case you are stopped?

I have had several 4wd vehicles and never put chains on once to drive through deep snow. But, I haven't driven my XJ in snow since I lifted it and put on off-road tires... so maybe that makes a difference?

When the XJ was stock, it would handle like a dream in deep snow.

The chains ran 100 buck with tensioners, I bought them just in case and I'd rather have them than wish I had them.

well last week I used them on my suburban that is 4wd for the extra security. WA sucks at clearing roads because of the lack of plows so I've been told. Anyways all the streets were sheets of ice. Didnt have to much trouble getting started it was the stopping that was the problem. The chains helped in both areas.

So, do you guys use chains on 4WD vehicle... or do you just have them in case you are stopped?

I have had several 4wd vehicles and never put chains on once to drive through deep snow. But, I haven't driven my XJ in snow since I lifted it and put on off-road tires... so maybe that makes a difference?

When the XJ was stock, it would handle like a dream in deep snow.

it all depends on who is controlling traffic at the checkpoints. ive seen the sign say "snow chains required" and sometimes they add "4x4 with snow tires ok". ive been waved through with just mud terrains with good tread. and other times even 4x4 need chains, but snow tires are ok (studded). so having the chains available is allways a good idea.

ive been waved through with just mud terrains with good tread. and other times even 4x4 need chains, but snow tires are ok (studded). so having the chains available is allways a good idea.

Yes, I learned that the hard way... I was stopped at a checkpoint on my way to Big Bear... driving an AWD... they told me, yes, you won't need to put them on, but you must have them in your car. So, some $150 later, they let me through (I think they were in cahoots with the people selling the chains... :eeks1:)

well last week I used them on my suburban that is 4wd for the extra security. WA sucks at clearing roads because of the lack of plows so I've been told. Anyways all the streets were sheets of ice. Didnt have to much trouble getting started it was the stopping that was the problem. The chains helped in both areas.

Makes sense. I've never had to drive on sheets of ice... but I can see how they would help even with 4WD.

I've seen a lot a trucks with chains in town and there seems to be a pattern. If you have no weight out back then go with chains up front, but a LOT of truck guys toss about 500lbs of sand bags in the back and then put the chains on the back. That's what I did with my Titan and it worked better then when I ran chains up front with no weight out back. Either way you MUST have chains to get past the chain checks for Forest Falls. Once the big storms cruise in they usually will switch from chains OR 4x4 to chain AND 4x4. Considering your commute, you don't want to drive all the way up here to get turned around a mile from camp. In regards to best local deals, I found Kragen/Oreily on Yucaipa blvd. had the best prices and they carried 33" tire size chains in stock. I know that because I ran 33's on my Titan. I would have sold you mine but I just added a couple links to fit them on the 35's on my XJ. I now have chains for the front and rear and with the 6' of snow we got last season in one week I am confident I will use all 4 numerous times. Good luck.

Hey bhicks how has the weather been up there lately? I am still contemplating whether to run them front or rear right now I have got my 33 spare on a 15x8 steel wheel and ny duffell bag with my camp stuff and I have an extra 29 in spare I can throw in the bed. Do you guys think that would be enough weight to run the chains in the rear? My main concern with the front is that the tires rub on the control arms at full lock.

Hey bhicks how has the weather been up there lately? I am still contemplating whether to run them front or rear right now I have got my 33 spare on a 15x8 steel wheel and ny duffell bag with my camp stuff and I have an extra 29 in spare I can throw in the bed. Do you guys think that would be enough weight to run the chains in the rear? My main concern with the front is that the tires rub on the control arms at full lock.

If your tires rub now and you put chains on them then your control arms are gonna get a beat down. I would say you want to run them in the rear, but with the items you mentioned I would still toss in a couple hundred lbs. more. You can get sand bags at homedepot for really cheap. I would grab like 10 of them and lay them across the back edge of your bed right against the tail gate. That should get you where you want to go.

I have a tool box in the bed that I may move to the back.

I have a tool box in the bed that I may move to the back.

That will help, but toss some dumbells/weights of some kind in there and you should be good. The philosophy is real simple: More weight equals more traction. The down side is: More weight equals less fuel economy. You need to find the right balance where you don't jack your fuel numbers but still have good traction. It took me a while to get the correct ratio for the Titan but I eventually got it dialed in.

Back